19.

Possible trigger warning: funeral + a litte mature content ;)

---

"Dearly beloved. We are gathered here to say farewell to Marie [y/l/n] and to commit her into the hands of God." The priest looked around the assembling. Her father was sitting next to her. He was wearing dark sunglasses. She was holding her sister. She was asleep. She tried to be strong. Her father had told her that she shouldn't be crying, so she tried not to. But it was hard.

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Let us pray. Lord our God, you are the source of life. In you we live and move and have our being. Keep us in life and death in your love, and, by you grace, lead us to your kingdom, through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen." The assembling echoed his amen. She didn't say anything. She just looked straight ahead.

"In the name of God, the merciful Father, we commit the body of Marie to the peace of the grave." The coffin was closed. She hadn't seen her mother. Her father didn't wanted her to. She saw the priest put on earth on the coffin. She didn't understand why.

"From dust you came. To dust you shall return. Jesus Christ is the resurrection and the life. Lord God, our Father in heaven, Lord God, the Son and Saviour of the world, Lord God, the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us. At the moment of death, and on the last day, save us, merciful and gracious Lord God." She didn't understand what he was saying. She just looked at him while holding on to Sia.

"God, we thank you for the life that you give us. It is full of work and of responsibility, of sorrow and joy. Today we thank you for Marie. For what she has given and received. Help us in our mourning and teach us to live for the living in the time that is still left to us. Thank you for eternal life that can give light and joy to our days and years already here on Earth. God, we thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ. Help us to see that it is he who opens the gate to the life that shall never die. Amen." Once again, everyone echoed his amen. She still was saying anything. The priest told everyone to stand up. She didn't get up. She was holding her sister tighter. No one said anything to her.

"Our Father, who is in heaven. Ley your name be kept holy. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done on earth as in heaven. Give us today our bread for the day to come. And forgive us our sins as we have forgiven those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen." Everyone sat down. She looked at the priest. She didn't want to look anywhere else and defiantly not on the coffin.

"Receive the Lord's blessing. The Lord bless you and watch over you. The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord look kindly on you and give you peace; In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." People began to stand up and walk out the church. She didn't move. She couldn't move. At last, she looked at the coffin and tears began to run down from her eyes. She couldn't control it. Her father looked down at her.

"Stop that, right now." He whispered. No one, but her, heard him. "Get yourself together for God's sake." He took Sia out of her arms and began to walk out, leaving her alone.

------

She knocked on the door, looking behind her. No one had followed her. For now, she was safe. The door opened and she looked up. The first thing she saw was a couple of blue eyes. They stared right back at her. She felt shy and she didn't know why. She took up her hand and placed it on his chest. He smiled down at her, pulling her inside the room. He didn't say anything. He just putted his arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"I am sorry," she whispered, burying her face in his shirt, taking in the smell of him. She hadn't been gone for long, but she had missed him.

"I am just glad that you are okay," he said, placing his lips on her hair. They stood like this for a while before she pulled away, still holding his hand.

"I went home." She said, looking down. "I didn't know where to look. I thought I could find a clue back there." Steve placed his finger under her chin, forcing her to look at him.

"What did you find?" He asked. She took a deep breath and pulled him to the bed. He sat down beside her.

"My father is dead." She whispered. She didn't know how she was feeling about the fact that her father had died. On one hand, she was glad. He was a monster. But on the other hand, he was still her father. Her family. And she didn't got a lot of that left.

"I am sorry." Steve said looking down at her.

"He wasn't a good man, you know." She said and he nodded. She remembered that she told him about how she became an agent. "He was much worse than I told you." She looked him in his eyes. He didn't say anything, so she pulled up her shirt, showing him all her scars. He looked at them and she saw pain in his eyes.

"He hurt you a lot." He said, looking her into her eyes. She nodded and a tear went down her cheek. He wiped it away with his finger.

"I got away before it got too bad," she said, still holding his hand. "At least he didn't touch Sia. Not when he had me." Her voice was barely a whisper.

"I found something else." She said and wiped away the tears from her eyes. She let go of his hand and took out the necklace. "It belonged to my mother." She gave him the necklace and he looked at it.

"Where did you find it?" He asked while examined it.

"At my father's grave. But it is so weird." She looked down at the necklace and Steve handed it over. "My mother was buried with this necklace."

"Are you sure? You weren't that old when she died." Steve looked at her, wondering what she was thinking. She shook her head.

"I picked out her clothes. I made sure she had this necklace with her. A memory of us." She knew what she was saying was strange, but she was sure that this necklace was buried with her mother.

"Maybe your father got another one?" Steve asked. She had thought of that too, but she couldn't see her father buying another jewelry. He threw out all that reminded him of her mother. All the pictures. All her clothes and jewelry. Everything.

"I don't think so," she said. "Sia didn't know about the necklace so I don't think she has bought one of her own."

"Maybe your father didn't give the necklace when he handed over the clothes? Maybe he wanted to keep this one?" [Y/n] had already thought about that.

"But how did it end up on his grave?" She putted away the necklace in her pocket. Steve thought for a while before he answered.

"I don't know." Was all he said. [Y/n] took a deep breath. She needed to know. She looked at the watch standing next to the bed. It was late.

"Maybe we should get some rest." She looked at Steve and he nodded. She looked around the room. It only had one bed and it wasn't a double.

"I can sleep on the floor?" Steve suggested. A giggle escaped [y/n]'s mouth. She smiled at her.

"Don't be silly. We are both adults. I think we can sleep in the same bed. Besides, I don't want you to hurt your back down there." Steve smiled too.

"Are you sure?" He asked. True gentleman. She nodded.

"Of course." She got up from the bed and looked down at Steve. She putted her hand on his cheek. The smile from her face was gone. She couldn't help herself. She took her head closer to him. He didn't stop her. She placed her lips on his. She'd missed him. More than she thought. He pulled her closer, making her sit on top of him. She wanted to be close to him. She didn't know if this mission of hers would turn out alright. She didn't know whether she would end up being caught tomorrow or not.

The kiss evolved passionately. He placed his hands on her hips and her lower back. She had her hand around his neck and the other on in his hair. She felt safe with him. She trusted him. She pulled away from the kiss, looking into his eyes. Her cheeks were red from lust. She bit her lips before she took off her shirt. She had left the suit in the car. He looked at her with big eyes and a heavy breath.

"Are you sure?" He whispered. She pulled him closer. He didn't look at her bare skin or the scars. He looked into her eyes.

"I have never been this sure." She replied and unhooked her bra. He looked down at her before pulling her into another kiss. She helped him get his shirt off. She almost lost her breath looking down at the muscle beneath her. It was breathtaking. He pulled her down on the bed and not one time did he let go of her. She felt like she was home.