10. Steve's POV

Trigger warning - descriptions of blood & death

---

He looked around. Everything was dark and he couldn't see much. He looked to the side and saw Tony. It worked. They were inside [y/n]'s mind.

"Seems nice. I should have packed a picnic basket." Tony said sarcastic. Steve didn't answer him. He knew that they didn't have much time. They had to find her subconscious before Astra found them. Steve looked around once again and saw something not far away.

"Over there." He said to Tony and pointed in the direction. Tony nodded and they began to walk. As they came closer, they saw [y/n] sitting on a chair, tied up and smiling.

"Hello boys," she said gloomy. "I have been waiting for you." She looked at Tony and then at Steve. He knew immediately that she wasn't the one they needed and the started to think. Maybe there were more than one [y/n] and they had to find the right one. She looked around the area, almost as if she were searching for something too.

"Where are we?" Tony asked which made her look at him. She smirked and raised her eyebrows.

"Haven't you figured it out yet?" She asked confidently. "Welcome to the panic room." She smiled once again as their faces turned out more confusion than before. "Where all your darkest fears are gonna come for you." She looked at Tony who started to look around. His breathing started to get faster. Steve ran towards him, but something stopped him. A female voice. He turned around.

"Steve." Peggy hadn't aged a day. She was still as beautiful as ever. The curls in her brown hair were perfectly set and the uniform she was wearing showed off all her curves. She was perfect.

"Peggy?" Steve walked closer to her. "What are you doing here?" He was confused. How did she get into [y/n]'s mind, and how did she become young again? What was this?

"My sweet dear Captain." She walked closer to him. "I missed you so much." Her voice was dreamy and soft. She smiled at him. He didn't know what he should do. He forgot all about Tony being there. All about their mission to save [y/n]. "If only you had saved us all." She stopped and so did he. What was she talking about?

"Peggy? What do you mean?" He was confused. He thought back. He did save them all. He crashed the plane with the bombs into the water, saving billions of lives.

"You just had to play the hero, didn't you?" Her face started to change. Blood ran down from the top of the head. "You just couldn't help yourself. You had to prove that you were the hero. That you were in charge." Her clothes got ripped apart. She looked behind her, getting him to focus on what was right in front of him. She was standing, all bloody and hurt, in front of a pile of human bodies. It didn't take him long to recognize his team from the war. He saw Morita, Falsworth, Jones, Dernier, Sawyer, Pinkerton, and Juniper. The last person he saw, on the top of the pile was Bucky. He couldn't believe it. He knew that some of the guys survived and he was sure that Bucky survived too. He fought him not that long ago. He looked at Peggy once again. Her face started to fall off.

"What is happening?" He yelled. "I know this isn't real. I know you are alive. I know Bucky is alive." He took his hands to his head. He didn't know where to look.

"This is all your fault Rogers." Peggy's voice started to change too. It became more metallic. He shook his head. This wasn't real. He thought back. What was it [y/n] told them? Panic room? Where all your darkest fears are gonna come for you. That's it. This wasn't real. This was just their fears.

"This isn't real." He said out loud. "You are not real." He walked closer to Peggy. With every steep he took Peggy started to vanish. As he was standing right in front of her there was almost nothing left. Only half of her face, with a smile.