15

Johnny blinked.

He blinked again. The smiling face of Albus Dumbledore swam into view above him.

"Good afternoon, Johnny," said Dumbledore.

Johnny stared at him. Then he remembered what Quirrell said: "You never told me."

"I did not," Dumbledore said calmly, sitting on a chair. "I was content in letting you think that you was a Muggle-Born, knowing the pressure that would befall on you if you knew you was related to such a Dark Wizard."

"Does everyone know?" Johnny asked, feeling the dread in his stomach.

"Yes," Dumbledore said solemnly. "Word spread fast, many students wrote to their parents expressing their concerns. Many students told them not to fear you, as they knew your mother and father well."

"What happened to them, Sir?"

"Your father, Jakob, is in Azkaban, wrongfully accused of murder," Dumbledore said, a look of pain and distraught on his face. "Your mother, Evelyn, is currently in Austria, with your Grandfather."

"Gellert?" Johnny said quietly. "I read that he was locked up in a castle."

"That is correct," Dumbledore said. "I happen to be visiting them this summer, if you would like to join me?"

Johnny nodded eagerly.

"Then you will not be catching the train home," Dumbledore said, standing up and patting his shoulder. "McGonagall will inform Mr. Scaletta and his daughter, and if you wish to say goodbye to them and live with your mother and Grandfather, then I will not stop you."

"Sir!" Johnny called out to Dumbledore, who turned to Johnny with a small smile. "You loved him, didn't you? My Grandfather."

"When I was young, yes," Dumbledore sighed. "And he is what I desire most when I look in to that mirror, but I could never forgive him fully.

Johnny swallowed and looked around him. He was lying in a bed with white linen sheets, and next to him was a table piled high with what looked like half the candy shop.

"Tokens from your friends and admirers," said Dumbledore, beaming. "What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally, the whole school knows, that's how they found out about your heritage. I believe your friends Misters Fred and George Weasley were responsible for trying to send you a toilet seat. No doubt they thought it would amuse you. Madam Pomfrey, however, felt it might not be very hygienic, and confiscated it."

"How long have I been in here?"

"Three days. Mr. Harry Potter, Mr. Ronald Weasley and Miss Granger will be most relieved you have come round, they have been extremely worried."

"But sir, the Stone--"

"I see you are not to be distracted. Very well, the Stone. Professor Quirrell did not manage to take it from you. I arrived in time to prevent that, although you were doing very well on your own, I must say."

"You got there? You got Hermione and Harry's owl?"

"We must have crossed in midair. No sooner had I reached London than it became clear to me that the place I should be was the one I had just left. I arrived just in time to pull Quirrell off you."

"It was you."

"I feared I might be too late."

"You nearly were, I couldn't have kept him off the Stone much longer -"

"Not the Stone, boy, you -- the effort involved nearly killed you. For one terrible moment there, I was afraid it had. As for the Stone, it has been destroyed."