46

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of this statement to sink in. Then Ron voiced what Johnny was thinking.

"All four of you are mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Jakob, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Jakob lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Jakob's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Jakob, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards, Sirius following suit, and together they dragged Jakob away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that -- they need to understand -- we've got to explain --"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Jakob, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

"They've -- got -- a -- right -- to -- know -- everything!" Sirius panted, still trying to restrain Jakob. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry and Johnny -- you owe Harry and Johnny the truth, Jakob!"

Jakob stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Jakob said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're nutters, all of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Johnny, Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Evelyn raised her wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear us out, Ron," she said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry and Johnny caught him am pushed him back down to the bed. Then, ignoring his father, Johnny turned to Lupin.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Jakob savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ron's hands.

"Everyone thought Jakob killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself -- until Evelyn showed me the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Johnny."

Johnny looked down at Ron, and as their eyes met, they agreed, silently: Sirius, Lupin, Evelyn and Jakob were all out of their minds. Their story made no sense whatsoever. How could Scabbers be Peter Pettigrew? Azkaban must have unhinged his father after all -- but why was Lupin, Evelyn and Sirius playing along with him?

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to will Professor Lupin to talk sensibly.

"But Professor Lupin... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't..."

"Why can't it be true?" Lupin said calmly, as though they were in class, and Hermione had simply spotted a problem in an experiment with Grindylows.

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework -- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list."