The Deserter

" Rex is a smart man." Cody acknowledged as his brother hopped on one of the speeders with the rest of his men.

Obi Wan nodded his head in agreement. " Indeed, always thinking on his feet."

     " How much further away are those wetlands?" Jesse called over the sound of the speeders.

Rex rolled his eyes under his helmet. Leave it to Jesse to ask when they would be there when they had just left not too long ago. " Not much further Jess." 

" I hope we don't run into Grievous out here." Kix shuttered.

Hardcase drifted closer to the medic. " Nah, we could take him." he laughed.

" Did you not hear General Kenobi? We're not to engage him, besides he could take all of us out in a matter of seconds." 

" Kix is right, Hardcase. We're just scouting. If we see Grievous, we contact General Kenobi as soon as possible." Rex lectured his more hyperactive brother.

" Alright Jesse, we're about a few klicks  away from- " Rex couldn't finish his sentence because of the pain that erupted in his chest. 

He didn't even realize when he hit the ground. Everything around him was a blur. There were shouts all around him. Someone lifted his helmet off his head. His lungs ate at the fresh air that he was now exposed to.

" Jesse, you better get back here!" he heard one of his brothers say. Maybe Kix or Hardcase, although Kix made the most sense.

" K-ix?" he coughed, the metallic taste of blood filling his mouth. 

" Rex, don't worry. You're going to be okay." Kix frantically started to take off his chest plate.

He tried not to flinch when part of his armor rubbed against his wound. He was growing more tired by the second. Breathing was getting harder with the constant burning sensation spreading through him.

He managed to keep his eyes open long enough to see Kix's face fall.

" No no no no no." Kix muttered. The damage was bad. Rex wouldn't survive if he didn't get medical attention fast. He could put bacta on it to hopefully by time, but he needed a surgery.

" Jesse, where are you!?" the medic yelled into his comm, his words full of worry and fear.

" It's ok-ay." Rex could tell by Kix's expression that he wouldn't make it. 

" No, you're going to pull through vod. Hang on a little longer."

Jesse and Hardcase finally returned. 

" Kix, how is he?" Hardcase knelt down next to him.

" He's in critical condition. I...I don't think-" 

" He has to." Jesse snapped.

" Jesse? Hardcase?" the three clones turned their attention back to the injured Captain. " I-I know and i-t's okay." 

" You're not going anywhere, Rex." Jesse said, he quickly turned to Hardcase. " Go get the General and Cody!" 

Rex clenched his eyes shut in pain. " Hur-ts." he gasped as another wave of pain went through him.

" Shh, save your energy." the medic ordered.

" 'm sorry Jess... K-ix." the Captain stopped talking. His body gave one last attempt at staying alive... then it was still.

" Rex?" Jesse lightly slapped his brother's face to get him to wake up, yet nothing happened.

" Rex! Wake up, this isn't funny! Rex!" the slightly older clone shook his brother. " Rex, I swear, you better...please...Rex." Jesse broke down.

Kix bowed his head. He had failed to keep his own Captain alive. The two brothers sat in silence, still in shock of what just happened. From the distance the sound of speeders humming were getting closer.

Cody jumped off and ran over to his vods on the ground.

He saw Rex laying motionlessly on the dirt. " Is he..." he honestly didn't want to know the answer.

" He's gone Cody. I'm so sorry." Kix's voice cracked.

Hardcase's felt horrible for not being there when it happened. " I never got to say goodbye." he whispered.

Obi Wan lowered his head. He too was devastated for their loss.

How am I supposed to tell Anakin this news, he wondered. He could already see how that would play out, which wasn't going to end well.

" Let's take him back to the ship. He deserves a proper funeral." Obi Wan said. It was the least he could do for such a noble Captain.

Cody and Jesse pulled the limp body of Rex onto the stretcher.

" Kote kyr'am." Cody murmured. " I'll miss you vod'ika."

Hey y'all. So happy it's Saturday, school had been working my ass off. I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Remember if you have request, feel free to leave it down in the comments

Love y'all,

-Chopper457 💙🧡🤍