Mortis Pt3

" Resting sir?" Rex responded confused by what his general had meant. The transmission was still a bit glitchy.  

" We'll be there shortly Rex." Anakin hung up leaving him to ponder on what he had said. 

Rex went down to the hangers and waited for the Twilight to arrive. His stomach was is knots. He knew Anakin well enough to see that he was full of sorrow.

" Hey Cap, whens the General getting back?" Fives cheerfully came up to him along with Cody.

" They should be back any moment." Rex stood more stiff and attentive.

Cody gave him a weird look. " Is something wrong Rex? You seem nervous or something." 

Rex tensed a little by Cody's comment. " When I contacted the General, he was sad, heartbroken even. Something happened to the Commander."

" Is it really bad?" Fives asked turning worried.

" I don't-" Rex stopped mid sentence when he saw the Twilight entered the hanger. They all rushed over to greet their Generals.

Obi Wan was the first to step out. He had a frown on his face and looked as if he had just seen a ghost.

" General Kenobi, what happened out there?" Obi Wan looked at his commander and put on a brave face. " Cody, Fives, Rex...Ahsoka is one with the force now." it was all he could say without crying in front of them.

Seconds later Anakin came out of the ship carrying a limp figure in his arms.

Rex and Fives froze. Their commander was dead.

" Kid." Rex whispered, feeling as if his soul left his own body.

" Oh no." Five's never looked so depressed in his life. Anakin never once took his vision off his sleeping padawan.

" I'll go get Kix." Fives stuttered leaving the hanger.

Rex got closer to Ahsoka. He looked at Anakin for permission before he carefully took her hand in his and stroked her frozen knuckles.

     When they finally arrived on Coruscant it was raining. Rex and Fives swiftly went to the barracks. The news was already shared with the council and a few of the legions that Ahsoka had worked close with.

They walked in to see the men on their bunks with their heads low.

" Is it true sir?" Tup, a young shiny who had known Ahsoka for a couple of months, but had surprisingly bonded with her.

Rex nodded sadly, " Commander Ahsoka Tano is no longer with us. " his voiced quivered saying her name.

The men understood that he was closer with the commander than most of them so they didn't ask about it again.

Just as Rex was heading to his private bedroom Jesse stopped him.

" Sir, I know you probably don't want to talk about it, but I need to know what happened." 

Rex took a deep breath before explaining all that he knew. 

" What did the Jedi council say?" Jesse asked.

" From what General SKywalker told me they didn't really care. Its apparently not a big deal for a fifteen year old girl to die. The only members who did care were General Koon and Ti." 

Jesse eyes widened, " How's General Koon and Wolffe taking it?"

" Not good. General Kenobi told him. He took it pretty bad. He was the one who found her. She was like his daughter figure to him. General Koon told Wolffe.  Ahsoka and him were very close, both being basically adopted by Plo Koon they had developed a close bond. He locked himself in his quarters from what I heard." 

Rex was tired, tired from everything that that happened that day. " You should get some sleep Jesse, we have another mission tomorrow." 

" You too Rex." Jesse left feeling more devastated than before.

Rex fell onto his bed and reached over to his side table. He pulled out an old photograph of him and Ahsoka together after their first successful mission. He held the picture close to his heart.

" Goodbye Commander."