Two - Still New York

As Tora walks out of the airport, a small wheeled suitcase by her side, she purses her lips and raises an eyebrow.

"So, this is New York, huh?" She quietly asks herself.

Hurriedly searching through her black cross-body handbag, a wave of relief washes over her as she grabs the fresh packet of Marlboro Red along with her lighter.

Like a ravenous tiger, she rips open the cellophane, swipes out a cigarette and places it into her mouth as she holds up the flame to the end. Once it ignites, Tora feels sweet relief, pushing her long, straight black hair out of her face as she inhales.

She looks down at the ornate gold lighter and traces her finger over the engraved kanji —one of the few possessions left from her late father. Flicking open the top and clicking it back down a few times, Tora places it back inside her bag and continues to puff her cigarette.

She knows smoking is a bad habit. To be twenty years old and have smoked for a quarter of her lifetime, she knew the health risks. But, like every nicotine addict would say —and every other addict— it's not something you can just stop easily. Of course, she never smokes while she works —it's very important she doesn't and her boss enforces that too.

From a young age, she'd seen her father smoke constantly. First, he'd have a cigarette when he woke up, another with his first coffee, then after breakfast in their garden, then with every coffee he would have throughout that day, another after his lunch and then he would be drinking —so, of course, that meant more cigarettes. If she'd ever checked, she was pretty sure she'd have found him with a cigarette in his mouth while he slept. The only time she'd not seen him smoke was when he was opening the pack for another one, or, rather morbidly, the night of her parents' death.

Having seen him chain-smoke throughout his life, she'd gotten so used to the smell that by the time she'd been offered a cigarette, she hadn't refused.

Hazel eyes squinting, searching through the crowds, Tora takes the cigarette away from her mouth and exhales deeply before flicking the end off. She pulls her phone out of her bag, switching it back on after having it turned off for the fourteen-hour flight.

The screen lights up to show two missed calls and voicemails, one from her boss and the other from Fujimara, her Sensei back home in Tokyo. Deciding her boss could wait and she'd rather not deal with work until she'd settled in her hotel room, she presses the other voicemail message.

"Oh, ah, Tora!" The voice of Master Fujimara comes through the speaker, sounding his usual light-hearted self. For a 79-year-old, he's always so sprightly —it honestly scares her sometimes. "You'll get this once you're off the plane, but I hope you had a good flight and I wish you luck. I know you haven't always had the best time, it's coming on twelve years now. But, and I'm sure you know this, you've always had this strong mental state where nothing seems to bother you. Of course, you'd have to be like that with the work you do. Tanaka phoned earlier to check you'd gotten to the airport okay, so he's probably left you a message as well. I'll most likely have dozed off by the time you land and get this, but call me back and we'll get a hold of each other. Talk to you soon, Mago."

Tapping on her screen, Tora presses his contact and lets it ring as she turns around and puts her cigarette out on the bin ashtray. Fully aware of the time zones and not expecting him to pick up, Tora waits for the beep to record her message.

"Hi Sensei! Yeah, I just landed and listened to your message. You were right, Tanaka did phone me, but I'll leave him waiting. It'll make him want me for the job even more, I'm sure." She jokes. "Did you order the new boken staffs for the kid's class? I wasn't sure if you'd remember so I thought I'd remind you. Listen, I know what we said before I left, but I really think I can do this. Tanaka has already given me a list of a few names and the best targets. It really seems like it's going to come to an end. Anyway, I'm going to grab a taxi and get my hotel room sorted. I might even get the chance to see a few sights! Thank you, Sensei, talk soon."