Twenty-Eight - Left Hand Free

Water sloshes against the side of the boat, chatter and glasses clinking are heard from inside. The 'Northern Sun' is a white boat —a Narasaki superyacht to be exact. The cruise liner is the height of luxury, with elegant décor, three levels, outdoor seating, a jacuzzi on the top deck and room for 12 guests. The boat is not easily disguised as its rope is tied to the dock between other, much smaller, boats.

"Why are you so pale?" Ash questions, a hand on another boat as he leans out to get a better look in the window of the yacht.

Tora holds a hand over her mouth, turning away as she glances down at the water below.

"You're not scared, are you?" He turns back to her, asking in a hushed tone.

"I'm not scared..." She hisses. "It's just —the water. I'd rather we weren't having to board a boat at all."

He furrows his brows. "You really are scared of water? That makes no sense."

As she opens her mouth to retaliate, two guards walk around the corner, talking to each other and looking around, guns in hand.

"What are they saying?" Ash whispers.

Tora purses her lips. "As suspected, they know about the mansion and they're reporting to Koji now."

From their position a boat away, Ash checks his cartridges for ammunition, pointing at the 2L bottle of gasoline between them. "You really think this is a good idea?"

She scratches the side of her head. "Nope, not at all."

"Good. I'd be concerned if you did."

They hear the guards talking again. Tora listens intently. As she strains to hear, one of the guards says,

"He's given us the go-ahead, untie the rope." Her eyes widen, and she hears footsteps as one of the guards climbs aboard.

"We'd better get on."

Following her lead, Ash and Tora slink around the side of the neighbouring boat, keeping an eye on the guard as he unties the boat from the dock.

They hurry towards him, Tora plunging a knife into his stomach before his fingers can reach his gun. He groans in pain, collapsing to the floor. Ash reaches for his walkie-talkie.

"Let's hurry."

They jump onto the back of the yacht, gaining their balance as the deck shakes and the engine starts up.

"No going back now." Tora jokes. "Let the carnage begin."

Agreeing, Ash twists open the lid of the gasoline bottle, standing back as he starts to throw fire-starter on the surrounding deck.

From the blueprints they acquired of the boat while at the mansion, they are aware of the floor plan of each level and the trouble they're going to face.

Tora nods, ducking down as they see guests in the dining hall ahead.

Water ripples against the back of the boat as it slowly chugs along, and the moonlight bounces off of the surface. She looks out at the water and the salty breeze dances in her hair. She feels serene, despite knowing what is about to unfold on this boat.

Moving to the side as Ash draws a line of gasoline, she watches as he closes the bottle's lid and sends her a nod. "Ready when you are."

She flicks open her father's ornate golden lighter, glancing down at the kanji and gripping it tightly in her hand. Standing back, Tora reaches down to the line of gasoline, tapping the surface with the lighter and watching as it quickly ignites into flames.