Nineteen - Serpents

Fists clenched, heart-pounding and blood boiling, Tora storms down the corridor, Ash following close behind with gritted teeth.

Pounding her fist against the door, she taps her booted foot against the floor as they await entry inside. They hear Chinese being spoken inside the room when it abruptly stops and the door is opened by one of the servants.

Tora's eyebrows raise and she marches into the room. "Who was in on it then? All of your men?"

Yut-Lung waves a hand dismissively to the other servants as Tora points a finger at them accusingly. "I have no idea what you're insinuating."

"Bull-shit!" She growls. "The guards got word of it and called for back-up."

"She'd only taken the guy away for two minutes before they were on her case and I had to stop them. That's not just a coincidence." Ash interjects, crossing his arms and eyeing the servants as they walk out of the room upon Yut-Lung's request.

"Is that so?"

"Cut the crap Yut-Lung!"

He shakes his head at her, leaning back on the seat of the plush sofa. "Please elaborate. I would be interested to hear the full events of the night."

Through clenched teeth, she places her hands on her hips. "Fine. Things got out of hand and Ash had to come help get rid of his officers. Exits were locked so we had no choice but to go back to the main hall, which was in chaos, only to be taken in a car from 'Yut-Lung' but your men turned against us and tried to take us somewhere else instead."

"What happened with Liu Chang?"

She furrows her eyebrows. "What?"

"What did you do to Liu Chang?" Yut-Lung asks.

"Once I'd taken him upstairs? I injected between his toe with air, only after realising you gave me fucking Banana Fish!"

Yut-Lung crosses his arms. "So you disobeyed my orders? If this had been a paid job then you'd be $25,000 down. You realise that?"

Lunging forward, Tora grabs his vest with both hands, breathing heavy and eyes burning through him. "You'd better get your shit straight and tell us the truth. You're so full of shit!"

For the first time since meeting him only a few days before, she sees an almost scared look on his face, eyes wide as she grabs fistfuls of his vest. If it hadn't been for how abruptly his mood changed, she may have believed his façade. She almost feels sorry for him, his face turning paler by the second. Her eyes narrow.

"Please, Tora, I didn't—"

Ash interjects. "You're so slimy, Yut-Lung. A weasel, a rat, a—"

"Serpent."

Yut-Lung looks her straight in the eye as she says this and as she watches his eyes flicker to his laptop, she releases her grip on his clothing and he places a hand to his chest.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't threaten me when I didn't do what you're accusing me of."

The pair eye-up Yut-Lung, who pushes the hair out of his face and straightens his vest.

"What are you talking about?" Ash questions.

"I didn't set you two up."

They share a bewildered look, both taking a step closer to him.

Tora clenches her jaw. "But the fire exit was locked."

"That wasn't me."

"And the associate's guards?" Ash mentions.