Sixteen - The Feeling

A tight grip on her mother's hand in the corner of the room, Tora's lip quivers and she looks up to her.

Her mother stares back down at her, resting a hand to her cheek. "It's going to be alright, sweetheart. They're just here to see your father and they'll be gone."

Tora nods, clutching her book to her chest.

A cup smashes to the floor in the other room, Tora flinching and clutching her mother's side.

"It's okay, your father will be fine." She reassures her, the yelling from the other room becoming louder.

A heavy thud sounds and steps come running down the hallway. Her father appears around the doorway to the bedroom. His eyes widen.

"Hina, they've come for it and he's back, he's here," He pants, hurrying over to them. "You need to save yourselves, leave now! Quickly!"

"Don't keep us waiting, Akio!" A voice calls from the other room.

His father looks to his wife. "Hina, they know I'm here, but they don't know that she is. If you take her now, you can leave and I'll follow."

"But Akio—"

"Go, now!"

He crouches down to look Tora in the eyes. "You need to do as your mother says, sweetheart. You'll be fine, I promise."

"Will you come with us, papa?" She pleads.

Pursing his lips, her father's eyes tear up and he nods. "Of course I will. But right now, I need to make sure you two are safe, so you need to go."

He rushes back out of the room and Tora studies her mother's face. "Mumma, what do we do now?"

"Where is she?!" A voice yells and more heavy footsteps are heard —closer and closer to the room.

Grabbing her daughter by the shoulders, her mother furrows her eyebrows in concentration. "Sweetheart, I need you to listen to me. We need to help your father, so do as I say."

Tears round down her cheeks and her breathing shallows as her mother continues.

She waves a hand to the bed. "Stay under here and don't make any sound until it's safe."

"Why, Mumma?" She asks.

"You want to finish your bedtime story, don't you?" Her mother smiles at her.

Following her mother's orders, Tora crouches down and shimmies underneath the bed, gripping the blanket tightly in her hands.

Her mother's head ducks down. "Don't make any sound, don't look out from under here and don't come out until I come to get you, sweetheart, please."

She nods and her mother stands back up.

From underneath the bed, Tora shakes as she wipes her cheeks from tears.

She hears more footsteps, more loud noises and heavier footing.

"We knew you were here, bitch! Where's the girl?"

Hina hisses. "I have no idea what you mean."

Her mother grimaces as he steps forward and yanks her hair.

"I'll ask again: where's the girl?!"

"She's with my mother, I swear!" She cries out.

The man growls. "Well, if you're telling the truth, then we'll have to visit your mother too. Can't have anyone blabbering about our business with Akio."