Seven - Tiger Teeth

A week later, his torso wrapped up in bandages and now in possession of blood thinners and iron tablets, Ash returns to his hideout Downtown —much to the annoyance of Max.

Although he couldn't deny he appreciated Max's concern and his role as a fatherly figure to him, Ash also couldn't deny how much of a pain it was. Having had almost no contact with his father since he was eight, to now have Max play that caring role was more of a burden than he realised.

"Welcome back, Boss!" Bones cheekily grins with a flash of his fanged teeth, his pink braided hair swinging as he greets him. He jumps onto one of the armchairs, crossing his legs in his denim dungarees.

With the watchful eye of Alex, his second in command, Ash takes a seat on the sofa, arms to his sides and his legs sprawled out.

"It's good to be back." He sighs.

The apartment, located in Downtown Manhattan, is a small maze of rooms to accommodate the whole gang. The first room along the entrance hallway is the bathroom with a bathtub and shower hose, toilet and sink, with a white cabinet above a square mirror.

The next room is the main living area; four windows occupy the length of the exposed, red brick wall and includes a basic kitchen area to the left with a fridge, oven, gas hobs, a sink and storage cupboards. The centre of the room is occupied by a long grey sofa, a set of three grey armchairs and two single beds to the right of the room with a bedside table separating them —Ash chooses to sleep in the main living area.

Further down the hallway, three more rooms fork off, occupied with four single beds in each of them for the other gang members.

"How are you feeling, Boss?" Kong asks, taking a seat on the arm of the chair Bones sits in. His long, dark, shaved mohawk hair tied back in a ponytail, the gang member's gentle and caring disposition is outweighed by his large, stocky build and round stomach.

Digging hand into the pocket of his black jacket, he tosses the pill bottles to the side. "I've felt worse, let's just say that. At least this time I didn't get taken away by the FBI and sent to a drug testing lab that I had to break out of."

He looks between the faces of his trusted gang members, all grimacing at him and he laughs.

"So, it could be much worse, boys. Anyway, how's business been? I know none of you could see me while I've been away so give me a rundown."

Bones flashes a folder of paperwork in Ash's face. "We got the info you wanted to give to our client about the club event happening on the 20th."

Nodding, Ash flicks through the pages, placing it down on the table. "Good work. What else? Has anyone heard from Cain or Sing?"

The guys all turn to Alex, who clears his throat, running a hand through his mousey brown hair. His usually confident demeanour seems to have gone out the window as he stands in front of his boss and scratches the back of his neck. "Sing came by the other day. He put two and two together and figured out Lao was the one who stabbed you. So, he said he wants to see you as soon as he can to apologise and talk to you."

Ash huffs a laugh. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out. I'll get in contact with him. Did he have anything else to say?"

Alex looks to the other guys before he continues. "One of his guys was attacked in Chinatown the other day —a broken knee."

Raising an eyebrow, Ash crosses his arms over his chest. "Okay, well did they catch the guy who attacked him? It must've been a Soho guy, they're out to get us all."

"Well, that's the funny thing, it wasn't even a gang member... It wasn't even a guy."

Ash leans forward. "You mean it was a random girl?"