Ten - Secrets

The clouds glide through the night sky, the white crescent moon making an appearance while the stars are barely visible because of all the light pollution.

The stomping of Tora's boots on the concrete block makes the hair on the back of her neck stand on end and she takes a brief look down the side at the harbour water. It sloshes against the side of the dock while the rope-tied boats clank and anchors drag.

As a young child, her parents liked to take boat trips in the Tokyo Bay area and they would take her on an occasion. She'd always thought she liked spending time on the water, but it wasn't until she accidentally went overboard and had to be rescued that she feared it.

Checking her watch in the moonlight, she scans her eyes the numbered storage units, walking past 330.

After navigating her way past more units and warehouses, she comes to a sign with the numbers 336 on it. She pulls the knife out from behind herself and grips it to her side. Walking towards the unit, she reaches out a hand and manages to slide the heavy, iron door open.

Stood in the middle of the floor is Ash, arms crossed over his chest and a smug look on his face.

Tora walks cautiously inside the unit and Ash nods his head to her knife. "You don't need to be on your guard, Tora. Trust me."

She scoffs. "That's coming from you? The guy that's all 'cloak and dagger' is telling me to trust him."

Pulling his hands up in defence, Ash shrugs. "I get that you don't trust me. But you were the one who wanted me to call you and help, so here we are."

Sighing, Tora tucks the knife back behind herself and she takes a few steps forward. "You're right."

"Oh, I was impressed to hear about that investor," Ash smirks. "Nice work. You must have a nasty punch, causing brain damage like that."

"Wow." Tora raises her eyebrows. "You're actually praising me? That's music to my ears!"

He shakes his head, walking towards her. "Don't take that as praise. I still don't think you should be in Manhattan. You're very far from home so maybe you should cut your losses and go back?"

She narrows her eyes. "What's the hell is your problem? Why do you have such an issue with me being in New York?"

"Well, maybe I wouldn't have such an issue if you told me exactly why you're here." Ash shrugs, circling her. "I had my guys look you up, just in case."

"What the hell is this? Some sort of interrogation?" Tora scoffs. "Well go on then, what did they find out?"

"I knew you came from some sort of syndicate, but I didn't know for sure. Your father, Akio, was the head of the Daikoku-Kai, the most powerful yakuza in Japan. He was a well-respected leader —or so they thought." Ash says. "Turns out, there were some people who wanted him gone, so he was betrayed and both your parents were killed."

Tora looks away from him. "Does it make you happy to bring this shit up?"

Ash holds his hands up. "I'm just telling you what we found out."

"I was eight when they died, did you read that too?" Tora purses her lips. "Their murderers thought I wasn't home and I was left for dead as they set our house on fire. I managed to get out but I've got scars to show for it."

He continues circling her. "You were taken in by Master Fujimara and he taught you all kinds of martial arts —Ju-Jitsu, Taekwondo, Kobudo and Karate. At some point, you began training to become an assassin and you were being hired at 14."

Crossing her arms, Tora crosses her arms over her chest. "Are you done analysing me?"

"So what I'm wondering," Ash stops and looks her in the eyes. "Is what the Tigress of Tokyo, infamous among criminals alike, is doing in New York City, asking for my help."

Tora's lip twitches. "You're loving this and that's what annoys me the most. If there was someone else I could turn to then I would, but you're my only hope. I need to know more about Banana Fish."

Eyes widening, Ash steps away from her. "Banana Fish? How do you know about that?"

"Well, I know that my parents were looking into the drug and trying to create a counter drug," Tora tells him. "I've put two and two together and I found out that whoever betrayed my parents and killed them made investments to stop the production of the chemicals needed for the counter drug. They were so against my parents making it that they killed them."

"Why were your parents creating a counter drug?" Ash asks.

She shrugs. "I'm not sure. I guess they wanted to put a stop to the doctors that were testing on soldiers. I don't know the full story yet."

"My brother was one of those soldiers, you know." Ash clenches his fist. "That damn doctor injected him with that drug and he was gone forever. I'll never forgive him."

"Fujimara once told me when I was younger, that my parents died because there were bad people in the world who wanted to cause others pain and suffering and that they were sick." Tora shakes her head. "I mean, it's childish to say it like that, but it's true. I really think my parents wanted to stop all that."

Scoffing, Ash crosses his arms. "That's quite naïve of them to think they could take those people down."

Tora rolls her eyes. "You don't understand how much influence my father had, yazukas in Japan have just as much power as people like Golzine had."

He raises his eyebrows. "You can say whatever you want, but it's only since I looked into Banana Fish that I realised just how many monsters wanted to hurt people. It was people like Golzine who had that kind of power who encouraged the research for it."

"That makes me believe that if my parents were alive they would have been able to stop them." Tora says.

Sighing, Ash places a hand on her shoulder. "I understand what you're saying, but there are always going to be people in power that spur on those actions. What can you do?"

She scoffs, pushing his hand away. "I'm not ignorant to think that there's something we can do. That's why I need your help."

"Trust me when I say this," Ash tells her. "I've tried. Golzine and Foxx both died, along with the scientist who created the drug itself. But that doesn't mean that they didn't have a back-up plan ready and other people are taking over his foundation to carry-on where they left off."

"That's exactly why we need to do this." Tora clenches her fists. "We'll find those people and put an end to it all. There's got to be something we can do."

"Tora, you're not listening, there's nothing left to do!" Ash says exasperated.

Pulling at her hair, Tora groans. "Ash, listen to me, damnit! You're my only hope! I'm finally doing this to find out why my parents were killed and who did it, and you're saying there's no hope. I'm in New York to find out, you have to help me!"

Hands on his hips and lips pursed, Ash raises an eyebrow. "Is that really why you're here?"

She nods. "I decided to come to New York to find the truth out for myself."

Ash stand in silence, thinking to himself for a moment and Tora steps towards him.

"Ash, please. I know this sounds crazy and I know you've been affected by this drug too. But that's exactly why I need your help. You're the only person who knows enough about it and can help piece it all together. We can do this, we can stop the production of Banana Fish —for good." Tora sighs. "Will you help me?"

Rubbing his forehead, Ash groans. "Fine, I'll help you."

Tora gasps. "Really?"

"Yeah, I'll help you... But I'm only doing this to prove a point." Ash points a finger to her and she raises an eyebrow.

"And what's that?"

He smirks. "That you can't do this without me."

-

-

-

"i've got more secrets than you'll ever know" - State Champs