Chapter 2

Awesome artwork by : @emoggley on Twitter

TW: Chapter 2: amnesia, swearing, suicide, PTSD

*four days later*

Tommy woke up, feeling the heat of the lava right by him. A piglin snorted next to him and he turned his head. Tommy watched as the piglin passed, not looking his way or harming him. Why didn't the piglin attack him? Aren't they usually violent creatures? He can't remember what happened or how he got there. No matter how hard he tried, all he got was a splitting headache. Next to him, there on the ground, inches away from the lava, was a compass with a cracked screen and a label reading "Your Tu-". The rest of the name had been singed, making Tommy unable to read it.

Tommy quickly picked it up and held it close to his chest. He didn't want the lava to get to it and destroy it. He didn't want anyone to take it. But why was he so protective over a compass? And a broken one too. What did this mean to him? What did it point to? "Does," Tommy looked at the compass some more, "does this point towards home?" He looked up, "Where- Wha- Why can't I remember anything?" He trailed off and started to walk forward.

His bare feet felt warmer than usual, so he looked down at them. "Holy shit!" He screamed as he realized he was walking on lava. "What the-'' He was clueless as to what was going on. Tommy quickly ran back to the place where he woke up. He looked at his hands that were now greyish and slightly see-through. His figure tips had become red with lava running through his veins and up to his arms. His clothes were no longer torn but were still charred and dull. He still had worn the bandana, although it was ripped and losing color. When he tried to remember anything, all he felt was this immense sadness that had made him start to cry. As he cried, he watched as red hot magma fell down his face. Yet it didn't hurt or make him bleed.

He watched as the magma dripped down his cheeks and into his hands. "What are these?" he asked himself, "Magma tears?" He looked up, trying to find somewhere to go. That's when his eyes met that of a young boy in a green shirt sitting on a ledge in the far distance, looking out into the void of lava. Watery tears were running down his face. Next to him, was another young man, but he was not human. Half his face was like an enderman and the other half Tommy had never seen before, or at least that he remembered. This half-enderman was sitting next to the young boy with his arm around his shoulder. Tears were running down his face too. "What happened here?" Tommy thought aloud. "Did someone- Did I-" He paused as his black eyes became wider. His crusty, dry lips slowly started to split apart, "I'm dead, aren't I?"

He looked into the lava. He remembered. He remembered jumping in, although it was a very foggy memory and he didn't know why he did it, at least he had something. A memory. He remembered floating into the warm lava. His mouth slightly smiled as he remembered the embrace he felt as the lava toasted his skin. He remembered hearing a muffled cry of his name, Tommy. He remembered the feeling of his soul lifting from his body and starting to fly. That what he was now, a lost, wandering soul.

Tommy started to walk up the path towards the two figures, but stopped and hid behind a small wall when they looked his way. He didn't want them to see him. The young ghost wasn't prepared to meet anyone just yet. He didn't want to break their hearts when he said he didn't know who they were. He didn't know what to do, where to go, so he just waited there until they left.

After they had gone back through the nearby nether portal, Tommy went over to the ledge where the young boys once were. Sitting down on the ledge, he thought back to moments ago. He realized when he was walking on the cobblestone path, his feet didn't touch the ground. They were just hovering over the path. However, he could walk on the netherrack and when he walked on the soul sand, it didn't slow him down. Why could he only walk on nether materials? Was it because he died there? He did feel more comfortable in the nether than he ever felt before. He felt a deeper connection with the place. The place everyone else had deeply dreaded.

Tommy sat there on the ledge, pondering over his many thoughts and questions when he heard an echoey, slightly familiar voice talk in a soft tone. "Tommy, is that you?" the voice asked. Startled, Tommy lost his balance and fell over off the ledge. He fell with a splash in the lava, but he did not die. He couldn't, he was already dead. He didn't feel anything when he fell into the lava. He felt warmth, but nothing like before, not like last time.

"Tommy?!" The echoey voice screamed, although not very loud. Tommy swam up through the lava and stood atop of it. "Tommy?" The voice asked again, this time with much more confusion on their face. Tommy looked up to see a 20ish-year-old man with a soft, yellow sweater, dark grey jeans, and a red beanie on his soft, fluffy, dullish brown hair. His puffy hair covered most of his right eye, and his skin... his skin was like his! It was a greyish color, and slightly see-through too, just like Tommy's!

In the back of Tommy's mind, he knew this man. He met him before, he spoke to him, he hugged him. Tommy smiled when he heard his voice, even though it caused him to fall into the lava. But, who was it? Who was this familiar man? Why did Tommy feel such a deep connection with him? Why did Tommy love him, but not like a lover, like a- Tommy's eyes got wider. 

A/N  : So, this is the second chapter of my story. I only have a few more that I have prewritten, so don't expect a new chapter every day or two. I hope that y'all are doing well. Again, please comment on anything you want. I'm bored and don't really feel like doing my homework yet. Anyway, thanks for supporting me by reading this. 

Word Count : 1,096