Chapter 5

Artwork by: @li_n_arts on twitter and instagram!

A/N: OML, 600+ reads!?? I expected to get like... 30 reads at most when I first published this. I know that may not seem like a lot to some people, but to me, that's huge. I'm just glad that over 600 people are actually reading my story. Thank you everyone for the support. Enjoy the chapter.

TW: Chapter 5: amnesia, trauma

 Ghostbur and Tommy stepped through the portal. Tommy squinted his eyes as he was greeted with the intense sunlight. He held his hand up to block the sun, soon realizing that the sunlight passed directly through his hands. A slight chuckle escaped his mouth as he slid his hand back down towards his side.

"Tommy?" Ghostbur asked, "Something wrong?"

Tommy was confused, but then quickly remembered that Ghostbur couldn't see him because of the invisibility potion. His mind had been racing and exhausted trying to remember other things, that he forgot what was happening right then. "Nothing's wrong," Tommy answered. "It's just a lot brighter here compared to the nether."

"Oh," Ghostbur smiled. "Do you want to go inside?"

"No, I'm fine." His vision had now mostly adjusted to the light. He also didn't want to be a burden.

Ghostbur started walking on a wooden path, which seemed very familiar to Tommy. He figured that he must've walked on it before, in his past life. After all, they were all around the area. Suddenly a thought came into his mind, but he couldn't fully picture the name. "Prime..." he started to think. "Prime..." He thought again. "Prime, what? What is Prime?" His mind had many black spots, like holes in swiss cheese. Tommy decided to crawl back out of his blank hole and back to the current time.

He had been following Wilbur for a few minutes now. Wilbur was giving him a tour, pointing out homes, monuments, and other places such as that, hoping that some memories would come back. He also hoped that not too many came back, because even though Tommy was confused and a little scared, he was better than he had ever been in months. Ever since he was exiled, Tommy hadn't been himself. He was sad, starving, and very sleep deprived. He was carrying all this past trauma and conflict, his shoulders had been drooped down as if he had the immense weight around his neck at all times. (Though, to be fair, his posture was never great, to begin with.) His life in exile was depressing and lonely. Despite everything, Tommy seemed to be happier and lighter than he had ever been in months. And not just lighter because he literally weighed less than a feather.

Finally, they finish walking through everything, except L'Manburg. Wilbur had waited until the end, pondering what Tommy would and wouldn't remember. What his mind would think about the place. They walked down the long stairs and entered the country. Tommy's smile started to vanish, his emotions became sadder. Yet he didn't feel like any memories were coming back to him. His emotions were changing and he had no idea why.

Ghostbur looked at the particles next to him, unable to see Tommy's face. He dared to ask the question, "Do you remember anything? At all?" Ghostbur was broken when he heard nothing but silence. Tommy whispered in a soft voice. "L'Manburg, our unfinished symphony, did he ever finish it?" Ghostbur didn't say a word. The air was heavy with the weight of unanswered questions.

He ignored the question and continued as though he never heard it. Tommy continued as well, as though he didn't remember saying it. Tommy started to feel his head hurt, but decided to ignore it, putting it off to the side. He felt like he was remembering little things, such as the colorful flag with the "x"s and lines. Yet he couldn't recall almost anything about the place or the people. He quickly realized that his potion was running out and grabbed another one from his belt. He popped off the lid and swiftly drank it before walking through the borders into L'Manburg.