Chapter 4

Art by: u/DontKnowAnythingElse on Reddit

A/N: Thank you everyone for the support. It makes me happy to know that people are actually reading and liking my story.  :) Sorry that this chapter took so long to get out. I was traveling, so I didn't have much time to stop and write. Also, this chapter is kinda long. Thanks again. Enjoy. 

TW: Chapter 4: death, suicide

Tubbo stood and he looked out the window as the sun rose over his country. The country so many had fought so hard for. The country built on so many graves. However, this president was only thinking about the one. His deep blue eyes were so full of tears, he couldn't even see the picture in his hands. The picture of his best friend, the former vice president, the person which he had deemed a traitor. Water from his eyes dripped down onto the picture, making it wet.

The young president jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at the half-enderman who offered a soft smile with tears in his eyes as well. Tubbo stared straight into his eyes until he covered his face and fell to his knees.

Ranboo comforted his friend and spoke in a soft tone, "Maybe we should go to the nether, where he died. We can bring flowers," his voice grew quieter as he kneeled beside his friend. "It might make you feel better. Maybe," Ranboo paused. He took a moment of thought before saying his next words, "maybe he's a ghost."

This caught the young boy's attention as he lowered his hands from his face. "What?" he asked.

"You know," Ranboo looked down. "We all know he had unfinished business with his-" he didn't bother finishing the sentence. There was too much pain in those words. "He could be like Wilbur. You know?"

Tubbo looked at his friend with a confused expression, but Ranboo pointed his eyes downward. After the long, never-ending silence, Tubbo stood up, helping his friend up as well. "You're right," he finally said. "And- And even if he's not there, we can- we should still go visit the place. Maybe someone-" he tried to catch his breath as he was trying not to cry. "Maybe someone could build a- a memorial or something."

"Sounds like a great idea," Ranboo said, grabbing flowers from the nearby chest.

Both the boys walked out of the building, whipping away their tears. As they opened the door though, they found Dream standing by the doorway. He had no idea about what Tommy had done. He looked at the boys in confusion, but after seeing what was on the ground in front of the window, he knew. Tommy had been missing for four days now. Dream was searching everywhere trying to find him. He went to Technoblade, he went to Eret, even though Tommy hated both of them. But to his dismay, no one knew where he was. Except for Tubbo and Ranboo. They were the only people that knew the truth about Tommy, until today.

Dream looked at the photo on the ground and then at Tubbo's red, bloodshot eyes. Despite what he knew to be true, he still asked the question. His voice was hushed and worried when he spoke. "What happened?"

Tubbo looked up at him, remembering Tommy's last words from before. "Tommy wanted me to tell you, 'I decide when it's my time."

The masked man froze. Those words hit him like a boomerang coming back to square him right in the chest. No matter how much he hated Tommy, no matter how much of a pain in the ass he was, no matter how annoying he was, he never wanted this. He never wanted Tommy to die. All Dream could speak out of his crisp lips were, "Oh," before he turned around and started walking away. "I'm sorry," he whispered. Although to who his whispers were directed at, no one knew.

Tubbo and Ranboo stood in the doorway and watched as the distance swallowed the green-hooded figure. They both looked at each other but had nothing to say. Tubbo ran back inside and picked up the photo he had left on the ground. Together, they walked to the nether portal. They came out and immediately felt the scorching heat warming their skin. They walked towards the cobblestone path. The path where Tommy had taken his last fall.

Tubbo's eyes started to water up and he sat down near the ledge. Ranboo sat next to him. Neither of them said anything, they just sat there in silence and thought about a million different things, but only one person. Ranboo's mind was typically a complicated mess, full of happy, bad, confusing thoughts all rolled into one big disorderly brain. But right then, he remembered everything about Tommy. His mind was clear for maybe the first time. This caused him to give a small smirk as he remembered Tommy's funny comments and sayings. The mind beside him, however, was not so lucky. Tubbo's mind was a complicated mess full to the brim of shame, grief, loneliness, but most of all, guilt. Tubbo felt like this was almost all his fault, even though Tommy assured him it wasn't. Nonetheless, Tubbo saw this as his hefty price and vast consequence he had to pay for every bad decision he ever made. For accepting the presidency, for exiling Tommy, for everything.

Tubbo wished he could see Tommy just once more. He wanted to see his greasy, dirty blond hair, his worn-out red and white T-shirt, his bright, sky blue eyes, and his tired, muddy face. All Tubbo wanted to do was say sorry and take back everything he ever said. But Tubbo knew that couldn't happen. He knew even if Tommy was here, even if he did let Tubbo say everything, nothing could ever take back the words he said. Nothing could change the actions he had done in the past to his best friend.

The flowers and photo came out of Ranboo's pocket. He opened Tubbo's hand and placed the items in it. Tubbo looked into the lava, said a quick, whispered apology, and dropped them in. Both the boys watched as the flowers fell. Petals separated from the stems as they drifted and burnt in the heated liquid. The photo of the young boy caught fire facing up towards the ledge. It seemed as though it was looking directly into Tubbo's eyes. The crying boy watched as his best friend's face became nothing but ash and dust. Ranboo put his hand around Tubbo's shoulder and they watched together as a sudden breeze blew the ash up and away to the other side. This confused both the boys, as that shouldn't have been possible since there was no wind in the nether. However, neither of them cared enough to give it another thought.

They sat in thought for a few more minutes, possibly waiting for something. The sound of rustling coming from their right and they both turned their heads, eager to see something. But to their disappointment, nothing was there. "It was probably a piglin or some other mob," Ranboo thought. Finally, Tubbo got up and helped his friend to his feet. Together, they slowly walked back to the portal and went home, with nothing but a clear, sad mind and a broken, guilty heart. 

A/N: Hello! Did you like it? Please comment or something if I messed up anywhere or if you think that something is wrong or needs correcting. I'd love to hear from any of you. I promise I'll post the next chapter sooner! 

Word Count: 1270