Chapter 3

Art by : @kirbyomokoi on Twitter

A/N : Thank you to everyone who's read my story this far. I really hope you're enjoying it. If you have any feedback, please tell me. I'll definitely respond. I hope that you guys enjoy this new chapter. 

TW: Chapter 3: amnesia, PTSD, fainting

The brother of Tommy dropped down an ender pearl which Tommy caught and used to get back up to the ledge. Once Tommy was there, the other ghost just stared at him. Tommy looked down at the floor, feeling uncomfortable.

"Tommy, you're a- you're a ghost?" He asked as if he expected Tommy to know the answer. "Tommy?" But Tommy didn't say anything, just kept looking at the floor. He looked at his hands and held them up to the light, watching everything happening on the other side of them. He started to cry, and the ghost watched the red hot tears run down his face. Tommy fell to his knees and covered his face with his hands. He closed his eyes tight, hoping to wake up, thinking this was all just a bad dream. But this was no dream, nor nightmare. This was reality, and the reality was, he was dead.

The ghost ran to his brother's side and embraced him in a warm hug. They sat like that for a few more minutes before Tommy got up, wiping the magma from his checks. He looked up at the other ghost on the bridge and said, "I don't remember anything. I don't remember your name, I don't remember how I got here, I don't-" His voice cracked and the ghost stepped in.

"Tommy," he paused and waited till Tommy's eyes met his own, "I'm your brother. I'm Wilbur, Wilbur Soot. Well, I guess I'm the ghost of Wilbur. He died. I'm Ghostbur." Tommy looked to the side, zoning off into his head again. He vaguely remembered that name. Wilbur... Ghostbur... he knew this person. Slowly, small, foggy memories came back to him. Tommy remembered seeing the L'Manburg flag, he remembered Ghostbur supporting him, he remembered a small place surrounded by logs, with Ghostbur right there next to him. Just a few good memories, but at least he had another memory to hang on to.

However, his head quickly began to hurt from all this information. Tears ran down his eyes again but he didn't know why. The name Wilbur Soot brought a very complicated feeling to his heart. He loved the guy but also hated him. What was this? What happened to Wilbur? Tommy closed his eyes and brought his head to his knees, but not from the emotional pain, from the physical pain all this thinking had brought to his head. He felt like his brain was going to explode.

"Tommy? Tommy, what's wrong?" Ghostbur asked in a worried tone as he put his hand on Tommy's back.

"It hurts," Tommy whispered.

"What?" He asked, unable to hear his brother's whispers.

"It hur- hur-" But Tommy didn't get to finish before he let out a soft sigh and blacked out.

Tommy began to open his eyes and everything became bright, causing him to squint. Slowly, everything started to come into focus. He was still in the nether, so he couldn't have been out for long. His eyes focused on the hovering body in front of him. Ghostbur looked at him and smiled when he saw Tommy's dark eyes. Tommy rubbed his eyes and lifted his upper body. He looked around and asked, "What happened?"

"You passed out," Ghostbur answered.

"For how long?"

"Not long at all, only a couple of minutes," Ghostbur smiled as he helped his brother to his feet. Tommy rubbed the back of his head but didn't feel anything. I guess he couldn't get bruised as a ghost.

Tommy looked Ghostbur in the eyes and asked, "Since you're a ghost, do you remember anything from your past life? From Alivebur?" Tommy went back into his mind. "Alivebur?" he thought to himself, "Where did that come from? Did I call him that? Am I remembering things?"

"Only the happy things," Wilbur said after seeing Tommy's confused expression. "I only remember the things that brought me joy in life."

"But-" Tommy paused, "But why don't I remember anything? I only get some memories, and it's all overwhelming when I remember something. Like when I remembered you and Alivebur."

"I guess everyone's different. This whole 'ghost' thing is new to me too. So don't worry, we'll figure it out together." Ghostbur smiled as he thought of helping his younger brother once again.

"So, who were those people before?" He asked, hoping for an answer.

"You don't- You don't remember-" He stopped though. He didn't want to cause Tommy to blackout again. Tommy looked up at Wilbur, praying to get an answer, to fill in some more holes. "They were... friends of yours," Ghostbur said, a little hesitantly.

"But, what were their names?"

Ghostbur paused for a few seconds. To Tommy, those few seconds felt like they were stretching for ages. "I don't think we should flood your brain with too much right now." Ghostbur smiled and continued, "Do you want to go back to L'Manburg?"

Tommy nodded. "Wilbur," Tommy started to ask, "will you- will you not tell anyone about me? Could you not tell them I'm a ghost yet? I just want some time to myself, alone, to figure this out."

"Of course, Tommy," Ghostbur reached his hand into the pouch to his side and pulled out two potions. "Here you go," Wilbur handed them to Tommy, "They're invisibility potions, in case you don't want anyone to see you."

Tommy took the potions, keeping one in his hand, he connected the other one to the strap that went over his left shoulder and down to his right waist. At the bottom of the strap, there was a small pouch which was now empty, but once was full of many extravagant things. He took the potion and attached it to a clip next to the compass he found near the lava. He took the other one and popped off the top. After he finished drinking the entire thing and threw the empty bottle into the destructive lava. Ghostbur led him to the portal where the other young boys before went through. Before stepping through the portal though, Tommy took one last look at the nether. At the only place he remembered, not ready for what he was going to see on the other side. Not ready to see his home that wasn't a home any longer. 

A/N : Hello! I hope that y'all liked that chapter. If you liked that story, please give it a star. I really appreciate everyone that reads this. Have a great day or night, wherever you are. :))

Word Count : 1,122