Chapter 4

Sorry if this chapter is cringey, I hope you enjoy it anway!

Thalia is a strong and young mare who has been under Elrohir's care since she was born. She has always been loyal and cares fondly for her master, therefore the same feelings fall towards his brother. When the third day rolled around after near-constant traveling Elladan once again found himself struggling to stay conscious atop the saddle. Wheezed breaths and haggard coughs are the only sounds that escape him as he leans onto the neck of the mare, loosely gripping onto her mane. She moves steady but swift ensuring he does not fall as she follows the familiar road to where she knows home is. While her rider may not be able to lead her, she knows who and where safety is. That is why, when a handful of elves come riding towards the galloping mare, she doesn't hesitate in stopping before them turning quickly for the patrol to easily glimpse the collapsed elf atop her.

The Rivendell elves numbering a small patrol of five move quickly. The Captain, Odnir, dismounts his own horse to climb atop Thalia and support Elladan. "Datriel, ride ahead and warn Lord Elrond of our coming," he orders the youngest of the group who instantly nods in understanding and takes off back towards Imladris. He then pushes the chestnut mare in the same direction trusting her to follow the path while he turns his attention towards the unconscious elf before him.

"Lord Elladan, can you hear?" he asks, shaking the elf gently, being careful not to jostle the wound on the ellon's shoulder. He does not respond and from the heat radiating off the young elf it is obvious to the captain poison must flow through the young elf's blood as well. Worry fills Odnir as he questions the whereabouts of the two missing elves who had been traveling with Elladan. Glorfindel is a mighty warrior, but he fears if the golden-haired elf is not here with Elrohir something must have happened to them. Sadly, he cannot be certain of what until Elladan awakens and that likely will not happen until Lord Elrond has had the time to look over and heal his son.

With this thought in mind, he pushes the mare on, the other elves following suit as they make haste back to Rivendell. By the time they reach the gates they are wide open, and Lord Elrond is waiting in the courtyard worry sketched into his time-worn features. He rushes forward greeting them halfway and quickly helping take his son off the horse. His dark eyes instantly land on the wound on his shoulder moving the bandages aside to glimpse it briefly before brushing a hand over the sweat-covered brow with concern.

"I must get him to the healing halls at once. Elrohir and Glorfindel were not with him?" the elven lord questions as he swiftly scoops up his son and briskly heads towards the royal chambers. Odnir follows him, easily matching the quick pace as he releases a breath.

"They were not my Lord. He was unconsciousness when we found him atop Lord Elrohir's horse so we could not ask him where they may be. I had hoped they would only be a short distance behind us," Odnir says quietly noting the deep frown etch itself onto the elven lord's face.

"This wound is a few days old; I fear that may not be the case. Although we will not know for sure until Elladan awakens, luckily whatever poison plagues him does not feel too serious. It is strange it almost reminds me of when Estel was young and would come down with the flu, I can sense the same sickness in him," he mutters turning down a hallway before entering an elegant wooden door that leads into a large room filled with the scent of different herbs and flowers used for medicine. A fire was lit the moment Datriel returned bearing word his son was injured, a pot of water hanging over it that is now boiling.

"Odnir please fetch Erestor for me I may need his help," Lord Elrond says distractedly, barely noticing said elf leave as he sets his son down gently on one of the small beds nearest an open window. He strips off the dirty cloak and blood-covered shirt followed by the obviously hastily made bandages. The wound had clotted itself together a few days ago and was even in the beginning stages of scabbing. He's relieved to see it's healing but whatever poison had covered the arrow is still affecting his son.