Chapter 14

This chapter isn't exactly as good as I would have liked but I have deleted far more chapters and stories than I should have simply due to my issues with perfectionism. Therefore, while not entirely pleased with this chapter, I have decided it's good enough to publish and thoroughly hope you enjoy it!

Elrohir rushes through the thick woods moving swiftly with determination as he listens to the fading sounds of orcs behind him. He had made it nearly an entire twenty-four hours before running more of the foul of beasts, this time in a much larger number. There were nearly thirty of them, and while he was lucky to remain unseen, they have been following his scent for hours now. He knows he does not stand a chance fighting them alone and must rely on quick wit and even quicker feet to getaway. So far, they have remained a few miles behind him giving him plenty of breathing room, but not enough to feel comfortable moving any slower than a quick jog. He hopes if he continues being an elusive chase they will eventually give up but there is a nagging feeling tugging at his stomach. There are more orcs in these woods than he's ever seen before. Usually, they find the creatures wandering in smaller groups of no more than fifteen, yet now they are traveling in small companies. It is unsettling knowing so many orcs lurk just a few days South of his home and he knows it is no coincidence. They are planning something, most likely an attack on the elven city. Although thanks to his father the valley has remained safely hidden. A thought strikes him that perhaps that is why the orcs had captured him and Glorfindel in the first place. They want to lay siege to Imladris but cannot do that if they do not know where it is. Of course to them that is a problem with an easy fix, simply capture an elf and torture them until they tell you.

Fueled by this new realization the young elf pushes himself on faster. If the orcs are truly planning an attack like he suspects, he must warn his father. He does not fear Glorfindel will reveal the location of Imladris, in fact, the exact opposite. He knows the Vanya would gladly give his life to ensure the Last Homely House's safety. He just prays to the Valar it doesn't come to that, he won't let it. He was given the opportunity to escape and he will not squander it so that his friend is left to suffer. He will not stop until he has made it all the way home or run into a patrol first. He's still hopeful troops are marching in his direction and with any luck, he will run into them sometime today or tomorrow.

As he breaks through some thickets the road suddenly appears before him winding in both directions like a long brown snake. He feels only a small amount of relief as he quickly heads North, being on the road will be risky and leave him in the open. Although he doesn't want to take the chance of unknowingly passing anyone who could be looking for him. So he takes the chance and continues pushing on, being on a flat path at least allows him to move much quicker. He's not sure how long he runs for, at least a few hours based on how far the sun has crept across the sky. He doesn't stop until the sound of movement in the forest hits his ears. He halts instantly, standing still as he listens intently. He realizes his mistake only a moment too late as orcs suddenly step out from the trees all around him.

He stands nearly frozen as he takes in the sheer number of enemies surrounding him, unsheathing his sword with a grip so strong it hurts his knuckles. There are surely twenty orcs surrounding him grinning at him with hungry looks. They do not move aside from forming a tight circle around him, obviously toying with him. He feels anger swell through him so strong he doesn't realize he had moved until the orc closest to him is laying on the ground with blood pouring from its severed neck. This instantly sends the others into motion as they move forward with angered shouts and raised weapons.

He dances around their attacks using his own sharp steel to slay them before they can get too close. A few blades are able to nick him, but it matters little in his rage-fueled state as he watches the orcs fall beneath his sword with satisfaction. For a brief second, he feels a burst of determined pride as he quickly cuts down their numbers until a sharp pain stabs into his stomach causing him to stumble back. With wide eyes he looks down to see a dagger sticking out of his tunic, blood already pouring thickly from the wound. He's barely able to pull himself from his shock in time to stop a blade that surely would have ended his life. The ellon struggles to fight back the encroaching beasts as he feels his energy quickly fading and knows it will not be long before he is to weak to defend himself. In a last ditch effort to survive he drops low swinging his blade in a long arc that all but slices off the legs of the orcs surrounding him. Finding a gap in the dwindled group he shoots through, quickly sheathing his sword and rushing towards the trees.

The dagger burns hot in his torso but the sound of orcs giving him chase leaves him no time to worry on it as he grabs for a low hanging branch and begins ascending the tree. Arrows wiz by him and he is sure it's only through some miracle that none find their target. Using the sturdier branches, he begins hopping from tree to tree, relief flooding through him as the sounds of the chasing orcs fades into the distance. He does not stop until he can no longer hear the scuffled footsteps or outraged roars, finally sagging against a trunk when he deems he is safe.

He debates if he should descend from the tree tops in fear that the dizziness taking hold will send him crashing down but worries what would happen if the orcs caught up to him while incapacitated. Positioning his back against the trunk he reaches down with shaky hands and grips the hilt of the dagger tightly before pulling. He resists crying out in pain as blood flows more freely from the wound and his nerves feel as if they are on fire. Staying focused on the task at hand he rips some fabric from the already torn sleeves of his tunic and knots it into a makeshift bandage before tightly securing it around his torso. Huffing out a breath he then allows himself to sink onto the branch below him still using the trunk to rest against as fatigue tugs at his being. He has never felt such exhaustion before, though after being paraded around by orcs, using a fair amount of strength to aid in healing Glorfindel, and then getting stabbed he is not surprised to hold such a lack of energy. He is just glad the dagger had not done any serious damage, or at least any that he is aware of, currently the only problem he faces is blood loss; something that can not be helped while alone in the wilderness.

Closing his eyes his thoughts drift towards his warm bed in Imladris and a cup of soothing tea. What he wouldn't give to be back home with his brother beside him and Glorfindel safe. Instead, he is all but lost in the thick woods surrounding the hidden city, with no way of knowing how his brother fairs or if the golden elf still lives. He can only hope that both will survive this endeavor and things can return to how they are supposed to be. Now more than ever he craves peace in the world, for if there were no evil he and his travelling companions would likely be nearing Lothlorien harboring vast amounts of excitement. With a sigh he imagines what it would have been like to see his grandparents again after such a long time and longs for Galadriel's soothing songs and Celeborn's strong hug. Though above all else he misses his brother fiercely, the quiet surrounding him gnawing at his heart more than ever.

Repositioning himself against the tree causes a hiss to escape him as it aggravates his wound, without proper healing it will likely continue to seep blood and sap his energy. With a quiet curse he realizes how high the odds are stacked against him, for it seems the orcs no longer care for taking a hostage. They had every intention of killing him, which brings him some hope that Glorfindel is still alive; though the true question lies with how long.

Not wanting to waste anymore time least the orcs track him down he forces himself to his feet, once more traversing above the path as he hops through the trees. Every step sends a fire coursing through his stomach that nearly makes him sick but his will holds more control over him than the pain. So despite the heavy weight of fatigue he continues towards Imladris, this time hindered and at a much slower pace.