Chapter 12

Hey everyone! I just want you to know if you feel like I'm leaving a character out too much let me know. I know I haven't done much about Elladan aside from brief moments but you will see why here in a few chapters. But if there is anyone else you feel like your missing out on let me know!

Erestor's heart thumps loudly in his chest as he stands among the long-dead orcs splayed on the path around him. The rainstorm from a few days ago has washed away a majority of the blood but some of the thick black liquid is still staining the dirt. Twenty-three bodies litter the forest floor proof that the two wayward elves had not gone down without a valiant fight. Although he pays the deceased creatures little mind, his cool eyes unable to leave the barren spot of ground in the middle of the carnage. A dark patch stares at him that would nearly resemble all the other blood spots were it not for the reddish tint it still holds.

He questions for only a moment who it belongs to, the answer seems blatantly obvious. There is no other sign they had been injured, in fact, the few days old stain is the only proof they had even been here. He knows it likely belongs to the golden-haired warrior. He never backed down from a fight no matter the odds if it meant protecting those he cares about. While some see it as an admirable trait Erestor can only see it as a fatal flaw. For has the young warrior not given his life once already, has he not proven himself to the Valar enough to earn a reprieve from suffering. No matter how much time he spends trying to talk sense into his friend, the Vanya will likely never abandon his self-sacrificing ways. It makes his throat tight, and eyes burn, irritation then pooling in his stomach as he wipes away the angry, hot tears before they can fall. If only Glorfindel would heed his advice if only he would (listen). Maybe his friend would have attempted fleeing with the twins rather than standing up to fight. He knows it's irrational to be upset with the age-old warrior but the fear that has been consuming him for the past two days has slowly turned to rage. With no orcs nearby for him to slaughter he can only turn his anger inwards, cursing everything that has led to this. Led to him standing before the dried blood of his best friend without a single sign he is still alive.

He briefly recalls when Glorfindel had asked him if he wanted to come on the journey as well. He had politely declined, there was work he needed to finish and the thought of traveling with the twins even on such a short journey didn't necessarily sound pleasant in his mind. Though now he wishes more than anything he would have agreed. If he had been there when the orcs attacked, maybe he could have offered help. Maybe he could have made sure they didn't end up being taken by such despicable beings. At the very least he wouldn't be standing here, feeling altogether lost and like somehow this is his fault no matter how irrational he knows that may be.

A warm hand settling on his shoulder causes the advisor to jump from his thoughts, dark stormy eyes meeting the worried ones of Elrond. "Despite the rain, it did not wash away the path, we will find them," he comforts, but his words do little to ease the advisors roaring emotions.

"He wanted me to go with them. I know I'm not a warrior like Glorfindel but I can't help but feel if I wouldn't have been so stubborn to stay behind and enjoy the comforts of home, perhaps things would have played out differently," Erestor speaks openly knowing if there is one person he can confide in when his best friend is not around, it is the wise elven lord.

"If you had been with them, you likely would have been captured as well mellon. As much help as you think it may have been it is much better that I will have your assistance when we find them," he reassures seriously, before looking away with a sigh, "I to wish I had been with them Erestor. My son was taken, and I was not there to protect him as I had sworn to his mother. But where then would we be? If they were able to apprehend Elrohir and Glorfindel would one sword more have truly made the difference, or would it have left us with one more lost as well?"