XXXIII

They trod snow through the base as they ran down the halls to find Ren who she rushed up to, taking his arms. "Master-"

"Did you feel it? Snoke's here." he said and she nodded. 

"We saw it. We saw his ship," she replied, looking to Hux who an officer walked up to. "Do you think he's decided?" 

"I don't know." 

"Sir," the officer muttered. "The Supreme Leader has requested to see you all in the training room. He has just arrived."

He nodded once, swallowing his nerves as Amelia turned to him with a panicked expression. "Thank you...you're dismissed." 

"We should get this over with. All of us." Ren unhooked Amelia's lightsaber from his belt that she had left behind during their latest disagreement, holding it out. "You'll be needing this." He looked between them then finally set his sights on Hux. "I don't exactly see what you have to do with any of this though...Well, apart from the obvious but presumably Snoke doesn't know about your extra curricular activities." 

"Will you shut up for a second while we work this out." 

"There's nothing to work out, nothing we can do. All we can do is face this." He shook his head at him then brushed past in the direction of the training room. "Come on..." 

They followed behind with worried glances at each other. 

"What do we do?" she whispered. "How do we get out of this?"

"I don't know. Perhaps we just have to see it through." 

"See it through to when he kills us? He can't, and not just for our sake..." 

His eyes flickered down for just a second then back up. "I know but he won't...He would have no reason, he still thinks us both loyal and we're necessary." 

"You are, but if Ren is chosen instead I'll be of no use, he'll have every reason to get rid of me." 

"Just...don't worry." He linked his fingers in hers. "It'll be okay." 

"I wish I could believe you..."

The journey to the training room was short but gave all of them enough time to panic internally, all hoping this was only an informal meeting that required no real action. Amelia gripped the General's hand tight as they approached the door and he gave her a small, reassuring smile before letting go when it slid open. 

He was there already, Snoke, standing in front of the platform; the three of them approached in dead silence, the two apprentices kneeling before their leader while the General stood to the side, bowing his head slightly. 

"Rise, my apprentices..." he said and they did, their eyes firmly locked on the ground. Amelia almost shook, breath shuddering a little under his gaze, trying to focus her mind on only her commitment to the Dark side though it was difficult to pretend. "Both of you so loyal, dedicated to your cause despite some small discrepancies...These can be overlooked, however." 

"Yes, Supreme Leader..." 

"I'm sure you're wondering why I've called you here and I shan't keep you in suspense any longer..." He paced before them, robe dragging along the floor and Amelia swallowed. "As I told Amelia, Ren, I have been considering the both of you for the place by my side although...I suspect you already knew that." 

"I did, master." 

"And so does the General." he added, rooting around a little in his head which only made her more nervous. "Despite my instructions." 

"I apologise, Supreme Leader. I found the burden of knowing such a thing too great to keep to myself." 

"No matter, Amelia. You are still learning to control the weight of your emotions after all, but your strength grows by the day...I have reached a decision."  he muttered and Amelia sneaked a small glance at Armitage who returned it, equally as anxious. This was it... "The strength and raw passion you both possess leads me to believe that you are both as capable as each other...which is why you will decide between yourselves."