VI

Amelia's time in observation was long and tedious, the days blending into one another like ink in water as her sleeping patterns became more irregular and erratic. More than anything, she was bored but refused to see anyone, not that she had any real friends, save for her neutral acquaintance with the General who might stop by if he found the time during his busy schedule to update her on what he could, including Ren's antics on the base which had become more childish and tiresome than ever before now she didn't want to see him. It was obvious this was taking a toll on Hux and in fact, he found she was an excellent listener, letting him complain - professionally, of course. They were very similar in that respect, having grievances toward her master.

She still wasn't quite over the shock of what had transpired even despite the fact she may have slightly escalated the situation by defensively attacking him before he had her. What she couldn't fathom was why even the thought of trying to kill her would ever cross his mind. She was his student, students make mistakes and must learn from them, not be brutally attacked and nearly killed. 

Perhaps she had overreacted, after all, he had never actively tried to harm her, she had only seen that by diving into his thoughts which she shouldn't have done. Maybe it was just that: a thought, one he wouldn't actually act on? Who knew...Whatever the situation, she'd rather just not face him. Not yet. 

"...And it's not like those switchboards are easy to replace. They're expensive and Obviously, I'm busy. I have an institution to run," the General said, pacing her room while she nodded, running her hands through her hair. He looked over at the end of his rant, at her distant look and walked over, trying to tone down the self-indulgence. "You know, you're lucky he leaves you alone when you ask, I still haven't mastered that."

"I guess he actually respects me," She dropped her hands and he raised an eyebrow. "Sorry..."

"No, I suppose you're right..." He looked down as the conversation came to a close and tried to reignite it. "...He keeps asking after you. It's becoming a little tedious now."

"Tell him I'm fine and he need not worry. He's so overbearing."

"Indeed, though that's what I've told him the last few days and I fear he may be unconvinced by my sincerity."

"Can't imagine why that is..."

"Perhaps you should tell him yourself, I'm no messenger."

"No. I don't want to see him," she snapped then sighed. "I just don't. I want some time alone to think. "

"Whatever you say..." He continued his pacing. "When are you to be released?"

"Tomorrow morning," she said, tapping at the cover of a book, the only thing she had to entertain her during her stay. 

"I see, perhaps then you might tell me what happened between you?"

He appeared sincere but she knew better than to open up now after what had happened the last time she had, and he was her teacher, supposed to be welcoming and close. Besides, the General wouldn't know what she was talking about, could never understand, no more than she did, and anything she did let slip she might be killed for by the Supreme Leader after he inevitably snitched. 

He had no obligation to care for her and a threat such as that to the Order would not go unpunished. He was a passionate man, determined about his cause and would do anything to protect that. 

She looked up at him and met expectant eyes but shook her head. "We just disagreed on something...Force business. It's okay." 

"I see."

"But I appreciate your concern. Thank you." 

"Well, I hope being released goes well, I shall see you soon."