XVI

"After reviewing the details of the suspected Resistance hideout on Yanntu - the wealthy trade planet in the Outer Rim - we need to act soon, but we can't just go in all guns blazing," Hux explained to the small group of officers gathered in the boardroom, only the most senior given the secrecy of the mission. Ren and Amelia had joined but she stayed far away from him, sticking, instead, by the General's side, watching him point to sections on the hologram in front of them. "It's going to have to be a covert operation."

"But we can't send just anyone, there's too much riding on it," Amelia said and he nodded. "So...?"

"We're sending you," one of the officers replied and she looked up, slightly taken aback. 

"Me?"

"And the General, seeing as your master is unable to fight after your little disagreement." 

"But don't they know you?" She turned to Hux. "If they saw you, they'd know we were scouting them out." 

"No, hardly. I don't exactly make many public appearances, far less than your master anyway. He'd give it away if he went. We'll be fine." 

"What about me? What if they recognised me?" 

"Why would they? The mission on Trebula was a success, so while there may be rumours of an apprentice, no one would be able to identify you." 

"Yes but..." She was about to let slip that she had met Rey and she would recognise her instantly but stopped. Blurting that out would seal her execution. "Dameron saw me, and you." 

"No, he's been spotted on the other side of the galaxy by informants, and it's not like he was that conscious." He placed a hand on her arm comfortingly. "Don't worry. We'll be fine. There's no need to overthink it." 

She nodded, looking down at his hand so he dropped it, regaining his composure. 

"Now, it'll just be some basic observation and scouting which I can take the lead on easily and report back at regular intervals. Should they suspect anything or attack, then that's where Amelia comes in. She's at an advanced enough level to do so." 

"So I'm just a glorified bodyguard?" 

"Sort of, but I will need you to assist me too... It's a two-person job, I think." 

"On the subject of cover then?" Ren asked, cockily, as if hoping he wouldn't have an answer. He was a little bitter at the fact he wasn't able to go given he had a considerable injury to the shoulder thanks to his apprentice. But then again, if the General was going, he'd rather stay 1,000 miles away. 

"Yes, well, I think Amelia should be briefed on that..." 

She looked at him a little nervously at whatever they were about to suggest, folding her arms and ignoring the piercing glares she was getting from her master. 

"You'll be posing as a couple seeking trade deals for the government of a fake planet in the Outer Rim," an officer said nonchalantly, keeping his eyes on the file in front of him in a perfectly matter of fact way. Amelia blinked at him then looked to Hux and back. 

"A couple, what do you mean by that exactly?" 

"I mean a couple," he asserted, clearly wondering if she was okay when he frowned at her. "You married two years ago after meeting at your jobs where you've worked together ever since. Your new names will be Ulysess and Ivylyn Axos." He handed over a file each. "There are some more details about your new personas in these." 

Amelia nodded, picking at the corner of hers while Hux began to read, unaffected by this. Why would he be? This was only a job and there was no reason for her to be either. She needed to be professional and treat this like any other mission.