III

"Good," Ren said as his apprentice dodged a series of shots she had found particularly difficult in her recent sessions and had often tripped up on. He refused to give much praise though as he felt too much might hinder her progress so this comment was quite an achievement on Amelia's part. She smiled to herself then continued with a new wave of determination. "Good. We shall leave it there, I have matters to attend to."

"I'll stay then," she panted, chugging a good portion of water and drying the sheen of sweat on her back with a towel. "I want to work on my defence."

"Your perseverance is admirable, I admit, but, no, you will be travelling to the Finaliser to observe a mission of mine."

"Observe?" She jumped off the small platform as he left and walked by his side, still sipping her water. "Can't I come? I'll be your backup."

"You are not yet ready for the battlefield, there is an improvement to be made yet. You have taken to your training but be patient a while longer."

She sighed with a groan but nodded. He was right and only looking out for her though he'd never admit he particularly cared for her welfare. Not to her anyway. "Yes, master"

"Get changed and be in the hangar in no more than half an hour, no dwaldling."

"I'll be there."

"You'll not be alone though. I shall leave you in the care of an officer."

"What? Who?"

"Yes, well, that's the bad news in this opportunity."

She frowned and looked up at him. "Who will I be left with?" she asked cautiously, voice low and a little unnerved. She felt she already knew and sighed heavily, looking forward again as the man in question turned the corner.

"General Hux." 

Damn.

"Ren, Amelia," he replied, focussing on her as he adjusted his gloves. "Shall we go? Ren, your shuttle is already waiting, don't be an inconvenience." 

"Oh, don't tell me I have to travel there with you too," she muttered with a slightly disgusted curl of a lip, looking him up and down and he returned this albeit with an almost questioning yet amused look. 

"Your master must leave for the planet directly. Do you not trust me?"

"I don't like you is more the issue, I think." 

"Amelia," Ren hissed. "None of us likes him but you'll just have to make do." 

"Thank you for your support as always," he muttered. 

"Get changed and don't be late." 

She pressed her tongue to her cheek and reluctantly nodded, giving the General a mocking half curtsey and leaving with a huff. Unbelievable, completely ridiculous. Her master might be intelligent in the ways of the Force but clearly not enough to recognise her distaste for the Order's esteemed General. 

Still, she supposed it could be worse: she could be alone and then she'd have no one to exchange insults with. He was good for that at least. 

The two superiors watched her leave with the General's gaze lingering a little longer as Ren spoke. "Try to be at least bearable. She's actually doing quite well, don't ruin that by flooding her with excess emotions of distaste. It'll only distract her."

Hux turned back to him. "No. Do try to be quick about this mission though for once instead of drawing it out." 

"I'll try..." he replied, his words laced with a petty annoyance. "Do keep her safe though, please. I don't ask much of you and we don't often agree, but this is important to me."