Hero Complex

Was this what he wanted?
Surely...
Maybe...

"You'll be fine," Techno encouraged, shoving the small blond forward.
Tommy looked carefully at his older brother before climbing up the hill.

The view was wonderful. His bes- Tubbo stood smiling unknowingly in the sunshine.
He looks like he hasn't slept in a while. Tommy can't judge. Tommy didn't look any better, in fact, he probably looked worst.

He'd never admit it though.

He fixed the sword in his hand as he made it behind the president.
"TUBBO BEHIND YOU!" Niki faintly yelled from below followed by Fundy and Quackity.

Tubbo stood to attention but before he could turn around Tommy spoke up.

"You think you're a hero?" Tommy asked, focusing on the reflection of Tubbo as he turned to look at him in his sword.

He shifted the weight in his hand and then jabbed it outward.
Tubbo flinched and stepped back instinctively. But there wasn't a need. The blade went nowhere near the president. Instead, it hovered off to the side pointing at the citizens of L'manberg.

"And they'll tell you you are."
"Tommy?" Tubbo breathed out, almost relieved.

"So stoic and handsome~ and you've come so far~" Tommy mocked.
Tommy opened his mouth to continue talking but Tubbo cut him off before he could.

"You think you're a villain. But I know you're not!" Tubbo stepped towards Tommy.
He placed a gentle hand on Tommy's cheek. And for a split second, Tommy could have sworn he saw Dream and Wilbur flash before his eyes mid-slap.
The motion made him wince.

"Under all that angst and anger is a-" Tubbo hummed softly, clicking his head smiling at him.
Tommy slapped his hand away angrily.

"-Beating human heart."
"Dying broken heart!"

Tommy shoved Tubbo, the sword long forgotten in the grass.
Tubbo stumbled backward and landed in the grass.

"Hey! What about the lonely little boy-?!" Tommy yelled.
Tubbo could have sworn he was back on the bench with Tommy rambling nonsense as they listened to one of his discs. Tears welled in his eyes, and one blink proved that that little boy he had been best friends with only a year ago was now scarred, broken, and torn.
"I'm sorry!" Tubbo cried, crawling backward.

"What about the monsters who prevailed-?!" Tommy was tearing up, he never cries...
And once more Tubbo thought he could see Wilbur, Dream, and Techno hovering over the small Tommy. He wondered if he always felt that small.
Underneath them, he could hear his citizens fighting with Technoblade.
"I'm sorry!" Tubbo cried out again, Tommy didn't seem to care about his apologies.

"You never came to save my world! What about me?!" Tommy yelled at him, Tubbo hated yelling..

Tubbo climbed to his feet as quickly as he could.
"I recognize that you're upset," Tubbo proclaimed.
Tubbo reached out to the man he had thought was dead.

"I know we did you wrong!"
"Oh, you know nothing of me!"

"But trust me, please believe me! This won't stop the hurt for long!" Tubbo insisted, getting closer to the youngest.
He clasped his cheeks in his hands lovingly, this time he saw Tommy's flinch.

"We don't need to end like this!" Tubbo encouraged, Tommy looked away.
Tubbo tilted to see him better, "look me in the eyes!"
"Here comes the hero complex," Tommy growled, pushing him away again.

"You call yourself the villain-"
"I know I'm the villain-"

"But you know it's a disguise..."
"But you're the one who lies."

Techno rushed up the hill, grabbing Tommy's forearm.
Tubbo almost wanted to tell him to let him go, to never touch Tommy again.

But Tommy clung to him and Techno held a sword to Tubbo's throat.
"We're going home. Dream's here."