the sun and the moon

Author's note: I can not believe I got more than 300 reads! I've never thought so many people would read my story and I just wanted to thank you all for all the love and support that you showed me in such little time!:))) I have been thinking about this legend for some time and I thought it would be a good metaphore for the characters. It's ok if you want to skip it, but if you choose to read it please tell me what you think.💕

<Jess Benko- A soulmate who wasn't meant to be>

He didn't want to start getting dressed so early, so he went to his bookshelf and grabbed the first book he saw on it. It was very old, the pages were a cream yellow and some of them were almost falling off. He held it tighter, realizing what book he picked. Remus closed his eyes and took a deep breath, allowing the old book smell to invade his lungs, giving him the much needed sensation of comfort. He opened the book slowly and his eyes stopped at a well known title, from a muggle story he had read a million times when he was a child, before he became a werewolf. Since then, he never had the courage to listen to it again, to feel those words wander into his thoughts. It was called "the sun and the moon". He couldn't stop himself from starting reading it, the words dancing gracefully in a peaceful harmony.

This happened a long time ago, cause if it wasn't true it wouldn't be told, long before kings and queens existed or people stopped believing in fairy tales. One day, the sun decided he wanted a wife and so went to God and said:

"I am done being alone! I fell in love and I want to get married!"
As he heard those words, God turned happily to the sun and said:
" And who did you find as a wife?"
"The moon", the sun replied with a little hesitation.
"The moon?" He asked angrily. "You can not marry the moon, it's forbidden! You must choose someone else!"
"But God, I love her and I'd rather spend an eternity alone than never have a second with her."
"You don't understand. You are identical souls. You'll destroy each other, along with everyone else."

No matter how many arguments God brought, the sun couldn't be convinced at all. "Fine! God said at the end. I let you merry the moon, but first I want to show you what happens to the ones that choose to be selfish instead of thinking about how their actions will affect the others."

And so they both left to hell. He was very surprised to see that no one was screaming. They were all sitting quietly, each of them in his spot.
"But they are not sufferi-"
The sun was interrupted by God: "You are wrong, my son. They are punished to feel the greatest pain, but not physical. It's not like the legends tell. The greatest sufferance is when you feel like your soul is breaking on the inside and you can't do anything about it. You want to die, but you know this is the end. It is a more profound pain than you could ever imagine and I'm not surprised that you don't understand it, as long as you have never been through it".
"God, I would live through the greatest pain, through every single bad emotion a person could have. I would break my soul into pieces just to be with the moon."
"If that's your wish, my boy, then we need to start the wedding preparations".

Everyone had come to the wedding, every person, animal or plant wanted to see or at least hear a part of the greatest happiness they could ever see. They came from seven shores and seven lands, from far away and from miles of walking, they crossed the dessert and flew above the worst storms, so they could share their happiness with the sun and the moon.

As tradition says, the groom is not allowed to see the bride 24 hours before the wedding. But this time, the sun and the moon had never seen each other. At those times the lunar and solar eclipses didn't exist. The stories about the moon's beauty witched the sun and he was determined to marry her no matter what.

After everyone was in their place, the wedding ceremony began. The sun was waiting for the moon at the altar. When she started walking down the aisle, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. Her silver hair was spreading a blue cold light. As she was getting closer to the sun, he started feeling something strange, something he had never felt before. She felt the same thing. Their skin started hurting and their souls were begging for mercy, as they were being shuttered from the outside. His golden shine started fading, as well as her cold light. Then, God stood up and said:

"You see, my children, I told you you were going to make each other suffer every day as long as you live. Now, I have a solution!"
And so God threw them in the ski and gave the humans light.

The sun, because he was the brightest, was going to illuminate the day, when people had to work. At the beginning, they were friends. Every morning, when he came up they greeted him. He helped them as he could: he gave them light in the darkest times, warmed them up, but, with time, his love for the moon became emotional pain and he started fading. Because he still cared about the humans, he decided he was going to be his true bright self only during summer, then he was going to hide behind the clouds that protected him for the happiness he saw every day on earth, from the love the humans shared and he knew he could never get. If he ever got close to her, he would destroy her.

The moon, because of her cold shine, was going to give the dark night a little bit of optimism. She was always surrounded by stars, who adored her, but only for the beauty she showed. She loved the sun, even his pain and in his worst times, she still wanted to be next to him, but she couldn't. No matter how many stars she was surrounded by, none of them could ever be the sun. She was so cold, but so warm from the sun's perspective.
They were condemned to an eternity of loneliness.

Seeing their pain, God felt bad for them and decided to give them a moment, once every few years, when they could be together. Those were named solar and lunar eclipses and, even though they weren't good for the humans, they loved them, because they knew those were the best moments their protectors were ever going to have: the sun and the moon.

His eyes were now wet and he realized he had never understood the true meaning behind this legend, until now. He was the sun and she was the moon.