| 27

Fits of giggles filled my ears as I chased after my best friend in the open field behind the Malfoy Manor. We were there for one of the Malfoy's huge parties, but we were too young to care about these sorts of high society things. At the bright age of nine we weren't even allowed to use magic yet.

"Camille!" I squealed in delight as I continued to chase her, "Let me see it!"

"No! I stole it, and I want to be the first to play with it." She shouted defiantly as she continued to run. She threw her shoes off and tossed them into the air with a playful spirit that I desperately wished I could match.

"Aurora, let's go back! The party is still going on." Draco's voice called out from behind me. He sounded annoyed and a little worried. He probably thought we were going to get in trouble. So what else is new? I looked back at him and giggled as he ran to keep up. He glared at me and picked up his pace.

"You'll have to catch me Draco!" I sang as I started to skip wildly in the moonlight. My hair was falling out of its pins and the curls were cascading down my back. I felt free.

"Don't think that I won't!" He shouted back sounding very determined. He always liked a challenge and was obsessed with the chase. I could hear that he was right on my heels now. One more step and he would be able to catch me.

I stopped short and he slammed right into me. We both tumbled into the grass and I couldn't contain my fits of laughter as he scowled down at me while he pinned me to the ground. I looked up at him and giggled as the moonlight cast shadows that danced across his face.

We stared at each other for a few seconds as we caught our breath and I scrunched up my face to glare playfully at the boy. "Get off of me, Malfoy."

"No." He grinned back at me as he continued to stare at my face. It looked like he was memorizing every little detail. There was something glistening in his eyes. I had never realized just how bright they were. They looked exactly like stars in the night sky above. He was like an ethereal constellation and I was the lucky one who got to observe him from the ground below. No wonder his name suited him so well.

"And why not?" I questioned him as I poked his stomach causing him to twitch and laugh.

"Because then I couldn't do this." He kissed me quickly on the lips. It was sweet, innocent, and over before I could even realize what he had done. Draco Malfoy had taken my first kiss from me and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn't want to do anything about it except maybe kiss him again.

"You two disgust me." Camille spat. I looked up to see her glaring down at the two of us.

Draco got up and helped me to my feet. The dark night sky hid both of our flushed cheeks.

"Are you going to show us that spell you learned now or what?" I asked in a huff as I brushed the dirt off my dress. I was annoyed that she had interrupted my special moment.

A wicked grin formed on Camille's face as she held up a wand and waved it around proudly. I wasn't even sure whose wand it was. She had stolen it from some unsuspecting person at the party when their guard was down and told me to come with her so she could test it out.

"Get ready to see something really cool." Camille held up the wand to the sky and grinned. Draco and I looked at each other nervously. Surely she was just going to send some sparks up into the air or something and then we could go back inside.

"Morsmordre."

My jaw fell slack as I watched in horror as the sky cracked open and a giant skull formed in the clouds. A snake came slithering out of its mouth. I could feel bile in the back of my throat trying to come up. My knees had gone weak and I clutched to Draco for support. He looked just as terrified as I felt as he pulled me close. The warm summer air had grown cold.