| 45

The walk to Harry and Ginny's room was cold as my bare feet slapped across the floor. I was leaving a path of wet footprints trailing behind me that anyone could follow, but in my state of rage I knew they wouldn't dare to try.

I swung the door open and let it hit the wall behind me. Harry sat up in the bed and blinked at me as his hand fumbled on the bedside table looking for his glasses. Ginny's eyes fluttered open and she pulled the sheets closer to her body as she sat up next to her boyfriend.

"Rory?" She asked, "What's going on?"

"It's Malfoy. He's gone and done something really stupid this time." I spat as my voice shook from the nerves. I was angry at him, but I was scared sick of what might happen to him at the same time. He was one of the most skilled wizards I'd ever known, but he wasn't invincible like his arrogance sometimes led him to believe.

"I warned him not to get into all the pranks with George and Ron when they started getting along." Harry said as he shoved his glasses on his face and looked at me. He seemed surprised that I was only in my bathrobe and blushed at the sight, "It's even worse with Lee here. They took the invisibility cloak out of my wardrobe and convinced Theodore Nott he was being haunted for two days straight. I still haven't gotten it back."

"It's not that." I stopped him. "He's gone back to the Manor. He's going to get himself killed. We need to gather who we can and go help him. He's probably gotten himself captured or— or—" I couldn't finish the sentence as tears welled up in my eyes.

Ginny wrapped the sheet around her body like a toga and walked over to me, pulling me into a comforting embrace. "He'll be alright. They're not going to hurt him. Hell, he might even do some proper damage while he's there."

"We need to go there." I croaked. "We need to help him."

"Rory, don't be rash." Harry said as he got out of bed wearing only his boxers. He ran his fingers through his hair revealing his scar, and he looked at me warily, "We're not ready. You saw how practice has been going. Everyone is still really rough around the edges. We haven't even gotten in contact with Oliver Wood yet. Draco can handle himself."

"He can handle getting himself killed!" I answered shrilly. "You're really not going to help me? Why are you lot even here?"

"We are here to help." Ginny said as she gave my arm a reassuring squeeze. I recoiled from her touch in anger and took a step backwards letting the cold air settle between us like a barrier. "This is bigger than just you and Malfoy. You must realize that by now. We can't risk all of our recruits just because one person decides to go rogue."

Harry nodded in agreement as Ginny spoke. I could feel all the rage boiling up inside of me. I felt so helpless being reduced to begging for assistance that would never come.

"You know, I'm really regretting letting you two take charge." I sneered as I turned on my heel and left. I could hear the two of them calling out to me, but I ignored them and ran back to my room, locking the door behind me.

Ginny fiddled with the handle trying to open the door as I leaned on the wall. I was suddenly very thankful for the wards and charms Draco had cast on the room, because there was no way that Ginny would ever get inside. Not even with magic. After a while she eventually gave up and I'm almost certain that Potter had something to do with it. Ginny wasn't one to let things go so easily.

I cried out in frustration as I stared at the empty bed where Draco should have still been sleeping. Everything these days was just going from bad to worse and there was nothing I could do but to endure it. I crossed the room to his side of the bed and lied down on his pillow. It still smelled like him. The scent was instantly comforting to me as I sunk lower into the bed.