Lily: Two

I rode the boats with the other first years, butterflies in my stomach. I was adventurous, but I hated being placed in surroundings surrounded by new people. The girl beside me kept splashing the water up into the boat. I looked at her and stared at her.

"If you keep splashing like that, we'll end up at the bottom of a bottomless lake."

She stared at me like she was sorry, but then she said "How can we be at the bottom if it's bottomless?"

I rolled my eyes and didn't answer her question. She was getting on my nerves and I didn't need any of this. When we reached the other side, we followed Hagrid up to the main entrance where we were then handed off to Professor McGonagall. We followed her up to the entrance to the Great Hall. The doors into it were elegant and I was excited to see it up close.

"Alright, first years. Behind these doors are all of the students at Hogwarts. But before you can join your classmates you must be sorted into your houses." I nudged Hugo excitedly and he looked at me confidently "There are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While you're here, your house will be like your family. Any achievements will earn you points, but any rule-breaking will lose you points." she turned around "Follow me."

I was kind of surprised she wasn't having us wait, like when my dad was at school, but I wasn't questioning it. I just wanted to be sorted. In the Great Hall, I saw everyone I knew. Lorcan sat at the Ravenclaw table and Lysander sat at the Hufflepuff table. James and Fred sat at the Gryffindor table, along with Roxanne and Rose. Albus and Scorpius sat at the Slytherin table kind of in their own world.

I was excited that it was finally my turn. We stood in a line and waited to be called up to sit on the stool and wear the sorting hat. Professor McGonagall held up a scroll and read off names.

"Breck, Gretchen!"

The girl from our boat walked up to sit on the stool. The sorting hat was placed on her head and almost instantly it shouted;

"Ravenclaw!"

"Bozen, Marcus!"

The hat called out "Slytherin!"

"Carlton, Logan!"

"Hufflepuff!"

I stood waiting for my name to be called, kind of bored of standing for so long.

'Why are there so many first years?' I thought.

"Granger-Weasley, Hugo!"

Hugo stepped forward and sat down on the stool.

Immediately, the hat yelled "Gryffindor!"

He hopped off the stool and went over to the Gryffindor table. I started waiting for my name again, this time even more bored without Hugo to talk to about the kids that were just sorted. Finally, my time to shine came.

"Potter, Lily!"

I skipped up the stairs and sat on the stool. I heard a voice say;

'Ah hah! Another Potter! I know....' he took a deep breath and bellowed "Gryffindor!"

I skipped down the stairs and joined Hugo at the Gryffindor table, as well as some other first years. There were two other girls so far, whose names were Emma Frain and Quinn Marcus. Emma had black hair with red tips and Quinn had bleached hair, but I could tell her original hair color was brown.

Quinn stuck out her hand to me "Hi, Lily! It's nice to meet you!"

I shook her hand "It's nice to meet you, too!"

I looked down to the front of the table. There were three other first year boys, whose names were Elliott Norman, Finn Dillans, and Harper Collins. Elliott and Harper had blonde hair and Finn had ginger hair that appeared more brown. in certain lighting.
*
When the sorting ceremony was over, we'd gained one more Gryffindor; a girl named Marlow Wildener. She had mousy brown hair and she wore black rimmed glasses and had braces on her teeth. Her hair was stringy and pulled back in a ponytail and I kind of felt sorry for her, because the other girls were teasing her.

When the feast was over, the Gryffindor prefect lead us to the common room and said "Salmon Rome!" to open the portrait hole. The common room was just as beautiful as I imagined with a roaring fire. There were also actual outlets for electronics. I don't know who brought a phone to Hogwarts, but I guessed these were a knew installment.

"The outlets are to be used if you're a muggleborn only! And only used your electronics if you need to call home! Muggles are often spooked by an owl tapping at their windows early in the morning!" the prefect explained, which caused a lot of groans of disappointment from the purebloods and halfbloods.

I didn't really mind this. It made sense to me for the outlets to be for muggleborn-use only. I'd been talking to Hermione and she said she had to talk to her parents and explain there wasn't e-mail at Hogwarts for a long time before they got used to the owls.

I smiled as I decided this was going to be an epic year.