It has never been

[Rhett Carter]
[Two weeks later]

"Goodbye, puppet," I waved at Lyla as she took her mum's hand before leaving the classroom.

I walked around the desk to place my belongings in my brown leather messenger bag to go home; it's Friday which means I have affairs to take care of tonight.

"Hiya, love," in walked Claudia, the headmistress' PA, and she had a gift box in her hands. "This just arrived for you; a tall handsome man dropped it off, said it was from Aurora Rothschild," she placed down the box on my desk.

My right eyebrow arched "Aurora?" I gently undid the white bow and ripped off the matte black wrapping paper.

"Who is she?" Claudia asked, leaning on the desk.

"She's a new friend..." my muscles tensed at the black box with white letters that read 'Saint Laurent'.

"A posh new friend," she stated with his eyes on the box. "Open it, love!"

My fingers carefully took the lid off; this isn't the first time I've seen a Saint Laurent shoebox, but it's not something I see every day. Over the black tissue paper there was a white envelope with my name written on it, which I immediately opened since this must be a fucking jest, these shoes can't be mine.

I was shopping yesterday and immediately thought of you when I saw these. Hope you like them. Maybe we could have lunch or dinner today or tomorrow or whenever you can.
Call me: 020-8156-0041

"Fuck!" I reached in my back pocket to pull out my phone and check my incoming texts. On top of the lists are all my sisters, coworkers and a few parents who always message me asking about their kids' homework. The last number on the list is the number on the card, and I did read the message but was about to take a bath then, so I decided to reply after it BUT I never did. This was two weeks ago. I'm such an airhead.

Before uncovering the shoes, I decided to reply to her sweet text.

Rhett: Aurora, hi. I'm so sorry I never replied. I get easily distracted. Thank you so much for the gift, you didn't have to get me anything but it's deeply appreciated. Are you busy right now?

I put down my phone to uncover the shoes which are my literal dream; it's been a goal of mine to get these specific shoes for myself. I do have the necessary amount in my account, but every time I'm about to buy them, it seems like that money should be kept intact in case something far more important comes up.

 I do have the necessary amount in my account, but every time I'm about to buy them, it seems like that money should be kept intact in case something far more important comes up

"Christ," Claudia picked up one to admire it as I did the same but from afar since it feels like an out-of-body experience. "She must be a close friend to be gifting you this."