That smile that you gave me

[Rhett Carter]

Aurora got five stitches and great painkillers. She begged me not to tell Hasan what happened which I said I wouldn't, since his number is not something I have and Andrew, second in command, will let him know.

Instead of taking her back to her flat, I brought her back to mine since it's clean and hers is not at the moment. Andrew said that it will be tidy tomorrow morning.

She's now calm because the pain has gone away and she's with me. She wouldn't let me change her at her place but whilst we waited for her doctor, Andrew packed her some comfortable clothes in a bag.

"That's it, good girl, baby," I said as the sweatpants were finally on her. "Would you like a cup of tea?" I asked.

Aurora nodded "Yes, that would be really nice," she softly replied as she looked down at her hands.

"Perfect," I pecked the top of her head and then exited my bedroom, glancing at my Apple Watch which has been vibrating nonstop, due to an enormous amount of texts from my family, all wanting to know everything about Aurora. Even Charlie was participating which is odd.

As the kettle boiled, I pulled out my phone to reply to everyone with a picture of Aurora and myself having breakfast on the floor of her new flat. She looks so stunning in every picture I have of her, but this one in particular is my favourite because she just seemed genuinely happy.

Rhett: 📷
Fiona: Wait, she's real.
Charlie: Where did you find a person who would be willing to be happy beside you?
Mummy: She's gorgeous, Rhett!!!!!!!!
Katherine: When can we meet her? Maybe New Year's Eve. Tell me her favourite dessert so I can learn how to make it!
Rhett: Settle down. I have to talk to her about going public with you people. We weren't planning to say anything until it became serious.
Mummy: What do you mean when things get serious? Things should already be serious. Are you fucking around with other people?!

My eyes rolled back as I typed in a reply, for the suspicions I already expected from my mother:

Rhett: Mummy, we met two months ago and back then she was still in a very toxic relationship. I don't want to rush her into anything because I really like her, so everyone needs to be patient. Have I made myself clear?
Mummy: Quite but you're not the mother here. Bring her tomorrow, I want to meet her.
Rhett: Mum, I'm not going to take her tomorrow. She's injured and needs to rest, I'll take her on New Year's but only if she wants to. See you guys in the morning, I need to take care of her.

I turned off my phone and continued to make the cup of tea for Aurora. I made myself a coffee but poured in a bit of whiskey and then made my way back to the bedroom.

Aurora was sitting up on the bed, looking down at her hands "Everything all right, doll?" I need to call her that for as long as she's drunk, to keep the peace.

She nodded, looking up at me "Yeah, I'm just a tad tired. Thank you," she said as I handed her the tea.

"How's the pain?" I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"All right, the anaesthesia is standing strong," Aurora replied before taking a sip of the chamomile tea. It's the only one I have because I ran out of all the others yesterday and since I'm spending these days with my family, I don't buy much.

I softly nodded "Tomorrow I'm taking you back to your flat, all right?"

"Yeah," she sniffled. "I know I'm still a little bit drunk, or a lot," she might be but her voice is no longer slurry. "But I want to apologise for being such a burden, you were probably with your family and you should go back to them. I'll ask Andrew to move me to the sofa and I'll just sleep there."