Chapter One // New Gang, New Life

I would've never expected to be a greaser. But yet here we are. It all started when I met Sodapop Curtis and Steve Randle at my job working at a dx.

I've never had too many friends growing up. I was always seen as "the weird girl". I've always seemed to get along better with guys. That is, if I can find guys that want to hang out. Not many people want a girl that's not their girlfriend, so it's kinda tough finding people. That is, until I met Sodapop Curtis at my work.

The moment we met, I knew he was gonna be my ride-or-die. After a couple of weeks he introduced me to one of the other guys that worked there. His name was Steve Randle. We weren't quite as close as I was with Soda, but he still became my good work buddy. My life went from low to high from that point onwards.

One day Soda invited me over to his house. He said I'd probably meet the rest of the gang too because he said that his house was never empty. At first I didn't believe him, but oh boy oh boy was I wrong.

His house seemed jam-packed, but that was probably because my house was always empty. Although the place was a little run-down, the spirit made it seem as if all that didn't matter.

When I walked through that door for the first time, everyone looked up. All the noise seemed to disappear immediately. That is until Soda finally introduced me.

"Hey everyone, I'd like you to meet my friend, Audrey!"

Friend. No one had ever considered me their friend before. I regained my confidence and stepped inside so I could close the door behind me.

"She works at the dx with us, she's real handy," said Steve

A guy stood up and started waking towards me. At first a thought he was going to kick me out or something, but instead he held out his hand

"Howdy, the names Two-bit," he said "Don't worry if the guys are awkward. Most of em' haven't said more than two words to a girl in their life," he grinned. I couldn't help but laugh.

"What'd you say about us, tough guy?" exclaimed a guy who I later learned was named Dallas.

"Well if you ain't scared of her, make some room on the couch and let her sit!" laughed Two-bit. He guided me to the couch and Dally moved over.

I gathered every ounce of courage I had, turned to face Dally, and stuck out my hand.

"Hey, the names Audrey. And you are..."

He rolled his eyes and declined my hand shake offer.

"Dally Winston."

"I'm sure you get all the ladies with that attitude". I smiled

"Someone's got a big mouth tonight."

"I guess I do."

"I like your confidence. You're a keeper."

He finally let a smirk slide and shook my hand. When I turned back around I noticed everyone was staring at me. Soda's mouth was hanging open.

"What's all the fuss about?" I asked.

"No one has ever gotten on the good side of Dally that quickly. Especially no girl. He's right, you are a keeper." replied Two-bit.

There were mumbles of agreement. Everyone started to warm up to me after that. I met almost everyone except for Sodapop's older brother, Darry.

That night was the most fun that I've had in years. We shared stories with each other, talked, watched a movie, ate cake, and just had a grand ol' time. I must've fallen asleep at some point though because when I woke up I was on Soda's couch. Luckily I woke up early so I made my grand escape before anyone noticed that I was still there. At the time I didn't realize that it was normal for the Curtis household to find people in their living room.

Later that day Soda met me at work. I asked him how he slept but he quickly changed the topic to Darry.

"I've got some bad news Audrey. Darry doesn't think it's a good idea for a girl to hang out with us."