Chapter Seven / / Forgiveness

I woke up to the sun beaming on my face. It was seven o'clock in the morning. Johnny was still asleep on the floor mattress next to me. I decided that I would get cleaned up before he woke up.

-

I stepped out of the shower and slipped into my bathrobe. I blow dried my hair. I didn't look half bad for someone who had woken up 45 minutes ago. I decided I would go get started on breakfast.

To my surprise, when I opened the bathroom door I was greeted to the smell of pancakes. I wandered into the kitchen to find Johnny at my stove, cooking away.

"Good morning." I greeted.

Johnny looked up. "Uh, I hope you don't mind, but I got started on making breakfast." he was turning red.

"Wow, how can I ever repay you. I fucking love pancakes."

-

Me and Johnny sat down at my table. We talked about something, I don't quite remember what, but talking with him kind of felt like talking to an old friend.

I finished doing the dishes and Johnny talked me into going down to the Curtis household with him. I was nervous, but I knew I had to go down there eventually. Besides, I left my car down there.

While me and Johnny were talking, my mind started to trail off. I remembered that Cherry was coming over that night, and that got my spirits back up. Thinking about her was starting to make my heart flutter. I felt something shake me.

"Audrey? Audrey?" asked Johnny.

"Huh? What?"

"You stopped talking there for a bit."

"Oh! Jeez, I'm sorry."

"What're you thinking about?"

"Oh, it's really not important."

I could tell Johnny was going to ask me to elaborate, but we had arrived at the Curtis household. I was nervous as all hell.

"It's going to be all right." I heard Johnny whisper in my ear. "I hope you don't mind, I think I'll leave the making up to you. I'll get out of your hair and stay here."

I walked up to the door and twisted the knob. I slowly entered.

It was quiet. Eerily quiet. I wandered into the living room. No one. I walked into the kitchen. No one.

I called out "Anyone home?". At first, nothing. Then I heard a stumble from upstairs. Then footsteps. Soda, Steve and Two-bit emerged from the stairway. They stopped when they saw me.

"Hey." I said. Not in a cheery way. I'm not quite sure what I sounded like, but it was truthful.

Steve stepped forward and walked towards me.

"I'm so sorry about what happened. You didn't deserve that. We were acting like five year olds."

"I didn't mean for that to happen. I shouldn't have pressured you into that, and I'll stop suggesting that you and Soda are cannon." said Two-bit.

"I see that y'all have been practicing." I said with a grin.

"Way to ruin the moment, Audrey." said Two-bit.

"Well, I accept your apology. Y'all are sweet when you're begging for forgiveness."

"So we're good?" asked Steve.

"We're good."

-

We were all on the couch watching Mickey when Dally barged through the door. I hadn't seen him since the night he and Cherry broke up. He was not looking too good. His hair was a mess and he had bags under his eyes. He looked like he had either gotten way too much sleep or way too little sleep. He plopped down on the couch next to me.

"Jeez Dal, you look like you haven't slept in days!" exclaimed Soda.

"Shut. Up."

He had his calm-but-also-angry tone of voice. Everyone knew not to bother him when he sounded like that.

I looked at the clock. It read 5pm.

"Ah, shit." I accidentally said out loud. "I got to go. See y'all tomorrow!"

I left before they got the chance to ask questions. I had to pass the lot to get to my house. While I was walking by, I saw Johnny sitting by himself. I had to cook dinner that night, so I walked up to him and asked him.

"Hey, Johnny."

"Oh! Hey Audrey."

"I know this is kind of a weird question, but can you help me make supper? I've got a guest coming over tonight and you're really good at cooking. I get it if you've got other plans-"

"Say no more. Let's go."

"Really? Wow, thanks!"

-

We arrived at my house at about 5:15pm. We had exactly one hour and forty five minutes to get ready. Watching Johnny cook was mesmerizing. He could cut up an entire carrot in five seconds. While he was in the kitchen, I got the place cleaned up and set the table. I made it fancy and put a candle in the middle. My record player was set up close to the table so I could listen to music with Cherry.

I was just about done with the setup when Johnny walked in to inform me that supper was just finishing up in the oven.

"Wow, it looks real nice in here."

"Thanks."

"Say, who's coming over anyway? It looks awfully romantic in here..."

I thought to myself don't panic, don't panic, don't panic. Why am I panicking it's just some girl stop panicking...

"Oh, it's an old family friend. I haven't seen her in ages, so I want everything to be perfect, that's all."

Why did I just lie? There was no reason to lie. Why am I being so secretive?

"Oh, okay."

"Oh! I almost forgot! I need to pick out something to wear! Come on, you get to help me!"

"Alright..."

-

I was rummaging through my closet trying to find something nice. I found a colourful button up shirt and some blue jeans. I hauled them on and showed Johnny.

"So, what do we think?"

"Wow, you look really nice. Whoever this mysterious person is, well, let's say that they're in for a treat."

"Thanks." I felt my face turn red. Then I looked at the clock. "Oh jeez, six thirty already! She'll be here any minute now! What time did you say supper would be done?"

"Seven. On the dot."

"Okay, you can come and eat the leftovers tomorrow for lunch. Thanks for everything! I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye!"

-

Fifteen minutes later I heard a knock on the door. She was here.