Chapter Seventeen // Somewhat Happy Endings

On the day before my birthday, my house was pretty much all set. Everything was tidy, so I decided to spend that Friday at the Curtis's.

I walked in and sat on the couch. A few minutes later, I saw a familiar figure standing in the doorframe. Sodapop Curtis.

I remembered him kissing me. I remembered how weird I felt after. We stared at each other for what felt like an eternity.

"Hey," he said after a while.

"Hey," I said back.

"So, uh, I haven't seen you in a while. How's everything been?" asked Soda.

"Pretty good, actually. Cherry an' I went on a little road trip," I said.

"Oh, cool, cool. Look, uh, I'm sorry about, you know, when I-"

"Oh, Soda, it's okay, really," I said quickly.

"So we're good?" asked Sodapop in a hopeful tone.

"We're good," I said, smiling.

Things got a little less awkward after that. We got back to talking like the good ol' days. Soon enough, I had to go home so I could make sure everything was perfect for when Devan got there. I picked out my outfit, made some soup and put it in the fridge, washed my hair, and went to bed.

I woke up early that next morning. I knew he'd only be there until noon before he left again. I got the pre-made soup and started heating it over the stove. I got my old radio out and set it up. Everything was perfect.

And at eleven o'clock, he was knocking on my door.

Nervously, I got up to answer it. I opened the door. Standing at over six feet tall, Devan, dressed in an old, brown leather jacket and some blue jeans, was there. His hair was dark brown and slathered in grease.

"Hey, Devan," I said, standing to the side to let him in.

"Hey, Audrey. Oh, is that soup? Smells good," he said, going to sit down on my couch. "Oh, an' happy birthday."

"Thanks," I said, sitting on an armchair near him. "So, how's life been treatin' ya?" I asked.

"Not too bad, actually. I got a job at Bucks. Janitor," said Devan.

"Man, that's great news! Congrats!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, I guess so," he said.

I poured the soup out of the pot and placed it on my table. We sat down and ate mostly in silence. Until the last few minutes before he left.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I know you really like my black leather jacket, so you can jus' have it. I dunno where it is, but if you find it, then it's yours," said Devan.

"Wait, really?" I asked.

"Yeah, consider it a birthday gift," he said.

"Holy shit, thank you so much!"

A few minutes after that, he left at noon, as usual. Something about him coming over was always special. I guess it was because he was really one of my only blood relatives left.

For the rest of that day, I was hoping that Cherry would come over. Mainly so she could explain why she winked at me in the car.

Just when I finished up my supper, I heard a knock on my door. I knew it was Cherry, so I flung to my door as fast as I could. Cherry was on the other side. She was wearing a small, red dress with black heels. She had bold, red lipstick on and smokey eye shadow with eyeliner. She looked hot. She looked sexy.