19. Secrets

AMALIA

Tied into the chair, I received another slap across my face. "Tell me! What is it?" Cintinio barked.

I had been here for 15 hours and I haven't said a word, yet. He'd be stupid if he thought that I would tell him the code.

"Pathetic." He spat, as he chuckled. He was about to say something when I cut him off.

"Answer my question, then I'll think about answering you."

"And what is your question?"

"Who are you and how do you know me." I ask. How did he even know that I have the code? Could Angelina; Jeremy's wife, found out that Sara gave me the code and told him? Because I know he wouldn't leave her alone because of the code. He seemed to do anything for the code. He was desperate.

"You are really pathetic that you don't remember me." He laughs. I looked intently at him, but I had no memory of him. I don't know this person. Who the fuck is he?

"My brother came to work for you and get information, but later died because he was about to open his mouth." He reveals, shocking me.

"You're?—"

"Franco; Gino's brother? Yes."

I looked at him, remembering Gino's older brother, who him and I never got along because he hated my guts. What happened to this family?

Then it struck me . . . Did Franco kill his own brother because he was about to confess to Demetrio? If yes, how?

"What did you do to Gino?" The question rolls out of my mouth, as my lips parted.

He chuckles. "I should have killed him a long time ago, but now he is finally dead."

I was lost for words. How could someone kill his own sibling?

"Why?" I find myself asking.

He walks around me as he 'tskd' trying to intimidate me. "You ask a lot of question, cugino." He says, dangerously.

"Why did you kill him?" I yell this time. I wanted to know if my theory was right.

His face hardens. "The thing about Gino is that he has a soft spot for you, but that didn't stop him from trying to take you down." He smirks. "I killed him because he was about to confess to that mafia boss of yours because he felt regret, and I don't do regrets."

He was talking as if he wasn't talking about his own brother. I remember when Gino used to tell me how much his brother is a good man even if he didn't like me, but I didn't believe him. He told me how he used to protect him against the bullies at school. So what happened to Franco that he had to kill his own brother? It had to be about this plan. The plan to kidnap Lily to lure me in.

"You are a monster!" I yell, trying to control my anger so that I don't cry. I do tend to cry when I am very angry.

"So were your parents, cugino." He spat, his voice laced with venom.

What did he mean by that? What had my parents done?

"What do you mean?" I ask, still confused of what he had meant.

"Why do you think your parents died, Amalia?"

Wait a second . . .

He killed my parents? H-he

"You!" I bark, trying to get free from these ropes.

"Your dear father was in the mafia with mine, but because of that mother of yours, he decided to leave. My father had agreed, but he didn't know that your fucking father would tell the authorities. That's why we had to fly and leave the country!" He explains, his voice was laced with anger, sadness, and an emotion I couldn't decipher.