Chapter 11

*Time skip*

Y/n's pov:

That day finally came when Jace was leaving for his study trip. It took me a while to convince mom that I won't leave. She kept on blaming herself for being the cause but I knew what was right and that is what I did. Me and mom were sitting in the living room waiting for Jace. He came down with his luggage. I stood up and saw him walking towards us.

Mom stood up and forced a smile before walking closer to Jace. He stood still and passed a smile. She smiled too and gently hugged him. Her head on his chest. I could see him tensing up but relaxed ones mom gently started stroking his back. "Take good care okay? I will call you and you better not make up an excuse that you didn't eat or sleep well? Hm?" I chuckled and Jace smiled too.

"I won't. Don't worry. I will be back soon." Mom nodded and kissed his forehead before backing away. "We will be leaving now." I said and mom nodded. She waved us goodbye and we both left. I had to drop him off to the airport, obviously. The ride was silent until we reached our destination. I parked my car and stepped out of it along with Jace. We got his luggage out of the trunk and placed it down.

I sighed before holding my hand out. "Have a safe trip." He smiled and hugged me instead which shocked me but I hugged him back. "Thank you." I pulled away and gave him a confused expression. "For sacrificing your opportunity for me. I can't thank you enough." I giggled and stepped back. "Like I said, if I'm good enough, I should get an opportunity like that again. But this trip is one time thing so I couldn't let you give it away just like that." He chuckled and looked down.

"Take care of mom and yourself. I'll be back soon." I nodded and he left. I saw him going further inside the airport. For some reason my heart was heavy. Not because of losing my opportunity but maybe because of being away from Jace. We may not be close but I feel like we have a connection. It sounds weird but ugh whatever.

Jace's pov:

I sat down on my seat and looked out the window. I sighed deeply before smiling to myself. Y/n crossed my mind once again and every time she did, it made my heart feel weird. Maybe I was guilty for letting her give up on her dream. How could you do this to her? She did everything for you and you just choose yourself...again! I mentally scolded myself.

She was there for you when you dad passed away, she was there for you when you were alone with your stupid thoughts and you thought of making her your second priority. I sighed deeply before opening my bag, I was trying to find my AirPods when I saw a letter. I didn't keep this. Then where did this come from? I pulled it out and quickly opened.

"Dear son,

I know this is a weird way to say this but I have no other choice. I know very well that you hate me for marrying y/m/n (your mom name). But I did that just so you could have someone you could call mom. I truly loved your mom and I will always but after meeting y/m/n, I felt like she would be great to take care of you and you will also have a sibling.

I know I was wrong to do this without your permission but I had no choice. I was diagnosed with lung cancer just yesterday. I didn't tell anyone, not you, not even y/m/n. I knew there was no other way. I am taking my medicines but I don't think they can save me.

I guess it is time for me to meet your mom.

I really hope you see how caring and loving y/n and her mom are. You won't feel lonely after I leave.

And the most important thing that I want to tell you is that there are adoption papers in this, if you want you can live independently without y/m/n as your guardian. It's all up to you now. I don't want to force you to stay with someone you don't get along with.

Other than that, I hope you stay happy and find a great girl for yourself and live happily with your family. Take care son. I always loved you and alway will.

With love,
Your father."

I felt my heart aching like hell. I quickly got up with my stuff and left the plane, not caring that people behind me were calling me. Tears kept on streaming down my eyes as I kept on walking. I got out of the airport and looked for a cab. As I found one I quickly got inside it and went back home.

I wiped my tears but they kept on flowing. It hurts so much.

Y/n's pov:

"Honey! I'm going to my friends house for a few days. She is sick and doesn't have anyone there for her." Mom said as she stood by the main door. I came out of the kitchen. "Oh okay mom. Let me know about her from time to time." She nodded then smiled before leaving. "Take care! Bye!" And she left.

Mom's best friend lived almost 4 hours away from us which means in a different city. I went back to the kitchen and started doing the dishes that I was doing. Not after few minutes later, the doorbell rang. I quickly dried my hand but the door opened revealing Jace with red teary eyes, panting.

My eyes widened. "What are you doing here?! You are supposed to be on the plane!?" He smiled brightly before running to me and hugged me tightly. I was confused as hell but hugged him back once I heard him sniffle. "What are you doing here Jace?" I asked, trying to calm down as the thought of him missing his flight was running in my head.

"I couldn't let you give up on your dream. You always sacrifice yourself for everyone. And you did it again. I would hate myself so much if I went on that trip. I couldn't let myself choose my dream over you after all you did for me. You are my first priority." I stared at him. I was at lose of words. How can he make my heart flutter like this?! UGH SNAP OUT OF IT HE IS YOUR STEPBROTHER Y/N!

"B-but your study trip is important-" he shushed me and hugged me once again. "It's not more important than you. And like you said If I'm good enough I'll get another opportunity." He winked as he pulled away. I chuckled and felt my cheeks heating up as he was really close to my face.

"Well now that I'm home, I'm kinda hungry." I laughed before walking back to the kitchen. "Okay Sir what would you like to have?" He laughed and pulled in his luggage. "Anything at all. I'll just keep these back in my room." I nodded and he left.

I felt so different and happy that someone prioritized me. Someone noticed my love and care. I smiled to myself. That someone had to be him huh? Lucky me, looks like it's going a little more hard to move on...