Sealed

After a quiet breakfast in the Boleyn house, eaten mostly by the men, Mary Jane's belongings were loaded into an awaiting carriage. Her brother and fiancė were to take her there, both having their own business in court. Jane was loathe to go and lengthened her goodbyes to her mother but was eventually pulled away by her uncle who received death glares from his sister. Forcefully shrugging away any help from her father or uncle, she helped herself into the carriage, finding herself sitting across William. He refused to meet her eye, having obviously been informed on matters, and it was a quiet and uncomfortable ride to the palace.

The carriage drove around the back to the entrance nearest the queen's chambers. Jane left the men to bring up her cases as she herself ran to the queen. Lucky for her, she didn't run into anyone extra. She impatiently knocked on Catherine's door and was caught off guard when her replacement- a mistress of the king- opened the door with the brightest of smiles that seemed to taunt her. As if the girl knew what had happened.

"Has Mary Jane returned?" Queen Catherine's voice asked.

"Yes, m'lady," the replacement answered over her head.

"Well then let her in why don't you!"

"Come on in," the replacement ushered her inside.

Mary Jane had half the mind to drop at Catherine's feet and cry her heart out, but seeing princess Mary in her mother's lap stopped her.

"Mary!" The little red head ran to her friend while the Boleyn Mary kneeled to receive her.

"Mary!" She joyfully exclaimed as the two Marys embraced.

"And how have you been, my princess?" Jane asked as she fixed the girl's hair.

"Good. Mother can I tell her! Please may I tell her?!" Mary whined.

Jane looked between the princess and the queen and Catherine nodded to her daughter.

"Tell me what?"

"I'm going to be big sister!" Mary cheerfully revealed.

Jane was shocked. Happily so.

"Oh I am the most happy for you, my darling!"

Leaving the girl, Jane finally went to the queen.

"My most congratulations to you, your majesty," the women hugged.

"To you as well."

Despite the elation in her face, Catherine could tell  Jane was distressed.

"Has something happened, my love?"

Jane couldn't get herself to look up off the floor.

"I... it's the king. He..."

A courtier interrupted them.

"Queen Catherine, my Lord Henry invites you and princess Mary to join him for breakfast."

Catherine nodded and sent him off with an affirmative reply.

"Join us, won't you Mary Jane?"

Jane bowed. "As your humble lady-in-wait."

The Marys trailed behind Queen Catherine hand in hand, and little Mary skipped to her father's chambers.

One of the guards outside Henry's room saw them coming and tucked inside to announce them.

King Henry was just about done sending someone off when the women came in.

"Ah! My girls, come in come in!" Henry ecstatically greeted his wife with a kiss on the cheek. He then lowered himself letting his daughter run to him.

"My darling Mary!" He called out to her and the little princess ran to her father's arms and he swung her and kissed her and led his family to the table.

Behind the queen, Mary Jane, hearing her own name on the king's tongue, shivered in thought of her impending future.

"Papa your hand!" Mary exclaimed as she examined her father's hand wrapped in bandage as she sat in his lap.

"Oh, it's just a hunting accident. All stitched up," Henry playfully informed his girl.

He finally noticed Mary Jane siting nervously behind Catherine and he smiled at her.

"All thanks to lady Boleyn. She has a talent as a seamstress," he nodded at Mary Jane as everyone appreciatively eyed her.

Catherine was beginning to finally understand Jane's unease.

"Can I feed you, papa? Mother says it's unholy to eat with your left."

Henry kissed his daughter's head. "Of course you can, my love. What shall we have first?"

The royal family had their breakfast merrily as queen Catherine happily watched her husband dote on their daughter. Despite the happy picture before her, she prayed to all the saints that the child within her now could be a boy. Henry however, unaware of his child, stole momentary glances towards Jane, who tried her best to avoid his eye. Breakfast came to an end and Mary grew restless on her father's lap, which Henry soon addressed.

"Is anything on your mind, my love?" He asked lifting her chin but her eyes were to her mother, and she nodded in approval.

"No, but mama has something in her belly?"

Henry made an acknowledging face. "And what's that? Breakfast?"

Mary shook her head. "No, not breakfast! A baby! I'm going to be a big sister!"

Henry's eyes snapped to Catherine. "Are you, truly?"

"Yes, the midwives confirmed it yesterday."

Henry put Mary off his lap and walked to Catherine, bringing her to stand. He smiled and kissed her, then pulled her in for a hug. While his chin rested on his wife's shoulder, his gaze rested on Mary Jane.

A guard came and collected them for court and the whole royal family and entourage went with.

Jane was caught off guard that the first courtiers would be William Carey and his father. William refused to look at her and Jane in her angst fisted Catherine's shoulder discreetly.

"Sir Carey, how are you today?"

"Pleased to be in your majesty's court."

Henry nodded. "Let's to business then. I hear Portugal has become a popular spot for business, yes?"

"As your majesty seems fit."

"I would see it fit that your son William should go there, with my blessing. What do you think?"

Sir Carey fell to his knees crying and kissing the king's hand. "We would be most honored, your benevolence."

Henry stood up and walked down his throne, circling William.

"And what about you, Will? Does the offer interest you?"

"Most graciously, sir."

"Good. You should. And man to man, it's come to my attention that Morocco has its share of beautiful women."

William stole a quick glance to Mary Jane and swallowed.

"As your majesty sees fit. But I'm afraid I'm engaged."

Henry tsked. "At such a young and impressionable age. It would be unfair to both you and your fiancée. And I'm sure you could find a more fitting woman for your higher title. Do you not agree, lord Carey?" Henry turned to William's father.

Thomas Carey took a regretful look towards Mary Jane standing beside the queen, but then turned away to the king.

"You are a wise man, my king."

"Great!" Henry exclaimed over joyfully.

"Then let's consider your engagement annulled."