Mine

Mary Jane ran to the Queen's room and restlessly tapped on the door until someone let her in. Another of the maids was still lighting the candles as the queen herself gently rose from bed, mindful of her condition. Catherine had just swung her legs down her bed when Jane fell to her feet, crying in her friend's lap.

"I couldn't! I can't! I couldn't let him touch me! I couldn't... I couldn't betray you."

Queen Catherine motherly stroked Jane's hair, calming the young girl. She then sent out the rest of her maids, leaving only herself and Mary Jane in the room.

"You are safe here, my darling. Why don't you tell me all that has happened?"

Jane sniffled, regaining her sense and pulled away from the queen's lap, but remained on the floor.

"When the King had visited our land, he fell off his ride and I tended to him. I told him I was engaged to William. But my father and uncle sold me for the king's favor. Like I'm nothing more than a token of pleasure!"

There was silence for a while, only sometimes broken by Jane's sobs.

"Jane?" Catherine called her friend.

The young girl looked up to the queen from her spot on the ground.

"I admire, and appreciate, your loyalty to me. Not many of my other hand maidens could be said the same for. I will reward you handsomely for it."

"Anything, your majesty."

"If only you wouldn't think so terribly of me after."

"Believe me, I couldn't feel more terrible than right now."

Queen Catherine sighed and cupped her friend's face.

"Mary Jane. Would you do it, for me?"

Mary Jane blinked, not understanding what was said to her.

"Do what for you?"

"What you wouldn't do for your father."

Jane gasped in shock of the queen's words.

"You would send me, to be your husband's mistress?"

The queen rose from the bed and walked to the front table, getting her own glass of water.

"Do you know what a mistress is, Jane?"

"A... lover?" Jane answered innocently.

"It is so much more than that, my dear. It is a political position. Fathers and Uncles and brothers present their girls to the king. And when the king is smitten by them, or begets a son from them, he is willing to give her whatever in the world she desires. And her desires are scripted by her men."

"So she is, just a pawn?"

"A mistress, can be much more powerful than the queen, Jane. And if you were to be his mistress..."

"I could ask of him whatever you would ask of me to."

"You are a quick study."

"But, that would mean I would have to give him..."

"Pleasure. Ease his tensions when he comes back from court. You don't have to offer him your body. Not all the time, at least."

"I... am untouched, my queen." Mary Jane revealed, blushing.

"Yes, but you have been to French court with your sister, have you not?"

"Y...yes your majesty."

"You may be untouched, but not ignorantly innocent. Am I wrong?"

"N...no, ma'am."

Catherine came over to her unsettled friend.