Consequences

Mary Jane Boleyn was in love with Harry Tudor, she didn't care who looked. She was King's Henry's favorite, second only to the Queen, which Mary didn't mind for so many reasons. Catherine was a bit pulled, but there could always be worse alternatives for either of them. Her daughter Mary was getting older now, leaving the other Mary with a lot of time to spend with the king.

Since the assassination attempt, Henry had moved focus from the church. Catherine's advocacy for her cousins fell on deaf ears. Listening to Mary Jane instead, Henry promoted loyalty to king and country over religious devotions. He vouched for whoever-orthodox or otherwise- was more beneficial for the affairs of the state. 

Religious discourse was no longer matters of the court, until some people decided to force the king's attention. The plan was to bargain the king's child with the removal of non-orthodox groups. They got the wrong kid. 

Princess Mary had been with her mother all day, and they invited Henry for dinner, as he had been stressed out recently. Lady Mary had gone to visit her family for the week and would have returned by morning. The dinner was going well, until a messenger interrupted them. 

"Urgent letter, your majesty!" The man said, already out of breath, his gaze locked on the princess. 

Henry wiped his mouth with a napkin and ushered the messenger to hand over the letter. The boy tripped on his feet, and Henry noticed why. 

"Sorry, old boy. She's promised to France!" He joked to the amusement of his table mates before turning his attention to the letter. It began with the common, extravagant address to the king, then immediately after presented the context. 

We have your Mary.

He never got past those four words. Looking across to find his daughter sitting across him, Henry stormed out of the room, leaving his family with extra guards for the night. The messenger picked up the letter and ran right after.

The king marched straight to his armory, redirecting the many advisors and Charles who'd been waiting by his rooms. All the advisors tried to talk him out of it, telling him how the would be abductors had failed already. Henry replied by telling them he would trade the lot of them for that one Mary. 

The entourage raced out on horses, stopping half a mile from the arranged meeting place. The plan was to have Henry walk in the front door, while the others would surround the hut, jumping in when Henry had Mary. 

The king put his hood up and went up to the door and knocked. He showed them his ring through the peephole to be allowed entrance. It was a single big room, occupied by men some of whom Henry recognized from court. He memorized their faces. 

"You've forced our hand, your majesty. Did you bring the deed?"

Henry almost didn't hear him. There was no other oom in the hut, which meant they'd had to keep her here as well. He found her sitting in the corner, supporting herself up on her hands. There was a gash on the side of her head, the blood running down to pool with the blood from her nose dripping on her lip. Two men were standing watch over her. 

"She comes to me first," Henry gritted, just holding back his fury. 

The speaker motioned and the guards picked Mary up by her arms and brought her forward, holding her just out of his reach. Henry pulled out a folded paper from his coat and stamped the blank sheet at the bottom corner. 

"Mary," he said, holding his hand out for her, and the man jerked her forward. Henry held her in front of him and walked out without a word. 

Behind him, the speaker unfurled the paper to reveal it all blank. They didn't have much time to be confused as Henry's men jumped in and arrested the traitors. 

Henry was quickly walking Mary away to his horse, but Mary couldn't keep up. She winced and grabbed his arm, toppling over. 

"Mary!" He worried and tried to make her look at him, but she stayed folded over and began crying. 

"Henry!" She whined in pain and Henry picked her up and ran her to the horse, taking her back to the castle as fast as he could. He rode straight into the court, alarming the guards. 

"The physician!" He ordered before he got off and carried Mary to his room. 

He tried putting her on the bed but she didn't want to lay. He stepped aside as she maneuvered herself to her feet, gently pacing as he held her hand. Her footsteps left bloody marks on his floor. The physician ran in with his assistants and everyone quickly gauged what was wrong. 

"My lord..." the physician attempted to reach out to her, but Mary tightened her grip on Henry's arm, and he waved them away. He let her walk until she crumpled to the floor, then picked her up and finally placed her on the bed. Henry stormed out and it took the efforts of Charles and Catherine to keep him from going to the dungeon. Instead he waited in his office and sent someone to fetch Lady Boleyn. 

Hours later, the physician arrived to confirm the news and Henry immediately went to see Mary. She was sleeping, pale from the blood loss. He sat beside her and fixed her hair, stirring her awake.

"Henry...?" She said quietly.

"Shh. You mustn't talk. Rest, Mary," he comfortingly stroked her hair.

"The baby," she began, eyes tearing slowly. "I wasn't aware! I would have... would have told you!" 

"Shh!" Henry shushed her and sat in bed beside her. "It wasn't your fault."

"I lost the baby!" Mary cried into his chest as he pulled her closer. 

Henry placed his chin over her head as he stared out. "No, love. You didn't lose it. They took him from us. They will pay."

They were beheaded with extreme prejudice.