Chapter 12: Wish

A day after the brothers confession, a warrant was issued for the arrest of Yahune. He was sentenced to life in prison. He didn't put up much of a fight, he even smiled and laughed when he explained how he killed Akine.

He made sure not the leave out a single detail, as if he was proud of his work. 

His prison cell was the worst the facility had. It held the lowest scum to ever be lock away, and that's where Yahune lived now. If you can even call it living, death would've been a release, a mercy. That's part of the reason why he didn't get the death sentence.

His crime became the topic of the other inmates, which made them all resent Yahune. Even the worst criminals there found what Yahune did to Akine despicable, unforgivable.

It's what he deserved, to rot away in a cell and be beaten on by the other inmates. He was withering away in his rock solid bed at the moment, and that's where Akine found himself. Looking at his murderer, he knew he had to face him.

"Mr. Yahune" Akine whispered, making his form viewable to his old principal.

"...Akine, now I know I'm going insane. I've been in prison for a week, and I'm already losing my mind"

"Why'd you do it?" Akine asked, ignoring his statement.

"Why'd I do what? Kill you? Stab you in the heart until it became no more?" 

"Just answer the question" 

"...Its simple really. You were always prancing around school, the kid that was always full of happiness. So full of child wonder and dreams. I despised it, so I killed you, simple as that" Yahune laughed darkly, not moving from his spot on the bed. 

"You didn't like that I had dreams so you took them away from me?" 

"Exactly, I took your dreams which ultimately came with your life all together. I was going to move on the the next kids after you, Izuku and Katsuki. But decided against it, with you gone it only crushed them. There was no way those kids were going to run again, all it took was a small death to ruin the lives of so many" 

"Was it worth it? Killing me? Was it worth it now that you've been caught?" 

"Of course I done regret it. I would do it again in a heartbeat"

"You're lying"

"......"

"You hate it here, you're sorry that you've been caught. You thought the brothers you manipulated would keep quiet, you thought that you would be safe. Also, your plan failed. Kacchan and Izuku, my death only put fuel on their fire. They worked harder because of it, you only ensured their success. They never ran again, but they flew" 

"You're lying!" 

"Am I? I have no reason to. You killed me, left my soul in that room for 7 years until I was freed. You've been caught, and now you're trapped here for the rest of your life. How the tables have turned" Akine smiled, then left the room, ignoring the string of profanities coming from his killer.

In the end, Akine won. Because he was free and his killer wasn't. He got to see everyone he loved and Yahune gets to see the dirty walls of his cell and the wrath of the other inmates. 

It was over, and maybe Akine could feel peace now. That's all he wanted, he's been suffering for 7 years, not knowing who took his life from him. Who took his dreams from him. 

Akine phased through the building, Katsuki and Izuku waiting there for him. Like the good friends they are, they always had his back. They walked through the town, the world seemed so different now.  Maybe he truly did feel at peace. 

Akine's wrist felt different which caused him to look down.  

The ropes that were tied around his wrists fell to the floor. Katsuki and Izuku both notice as well. The three watched the rope fall to the floor and evaporated, in its place, a blue gentian flower bloomed. 

"You look better without them" Katsuki said while they watched the flower move side to side with the winter breeze.

"You really do look free now" Izuku smiled. Akine touched the blue petals gently, then stood up. 

"Thank you both" Akine whispered.

"Of course Akine, we would do anything for you" Izuku said, while Katsuki nodded beside them. 

Akine had to tell them soon. As much as he dreaded it, he had to go. He was at peace now, so now he could finally rest. It's funny actually, he gets put the rest in winter, the season he died 7 years ago. It was ironic, winter was always his favorite season. 

Akine looked at his friends, their bickered was endless as usual. Akine didn't have a lot of time left, but he knew he had to do one last thing with his friends. One more, then he can go. 

"The Christmas festival is coming up, we should go" Akine said with a big smile. 

"They're boring tho" Katsuki grumbled, crossing his arms in annoyance.

"Don't be a stinker" Akine said, sticking his tongue out. Katsuki reached for Akine, but his arm phased through. 

"Yeah, we'll go" Izuku defused the situation, making the other two turn to him. 

"Great! Now, race you to the treehouse!" Akine zoomed past them. 

"STOP FLOATING!" Katsuki yelled, trying to catch up along with Izuku.

This is how Akine wanted to spend his last few days. With his friends, and see the lights of the Christmas festival. One more night with them, then he'll be ready to go. 

His final wish.