Chapter 14: Let me Rest

The fireworks stopped after a few minutes. It was almost midnight, and Akine had to go. He just didn't know how to tell Katsuki and Izuku. Would they understand? Probably not.

"I'm going to make a few stops. Give me a few minutes" Akine whispered, vanishing from thin air.

His body formed inside the familiar room of Jupiter, who was sound asleep. He smiled at his little sister, gently tucking the hair out of her face. "You can let me rest now" he whispered. Bailey laid on her bed, who wagged his tail happily. Akine pet his dog one last time, then vanished from the room.

He appeared inside the familiar house of a broken teacher, a man who carried so much guilt. The teacher sat on his couch, head in his hands.

"Thank you" Akine whispered, letting his form appear. Aizawa's head snapped towards the boy, only this time it didn't feel like a dream.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Don't blame yourself, you caught the man who did it. You've helped me find peace, so thank you" Akine interrupted with a smile.

Aizawa let a tear fall, but nodded. Akine stepped forward and wrapped his arms around the teacher, who returned the hug. "You can let me rest now" Akine whispered, then vanishing from the room.

Akine made it back to the snowy hill, where his friends were. Katsuki and Izuku sat in the same spot to wait for him.

"Kacchan, Izu, can we go to the river?" Akine asked them. They exchanged confused glanced but shrugged it off.

"I guess so, if that's what you want" Izuku responded. They waved bye to their friends, and set off towards the woods. The walk was quiet, the snow was still falling softly. This was the last few moments with Katsuki and Izuku, and it made him sad. He wanted more time, but it didn't work like that. He had to go now, or he wouldn't be able to rest in the future.

"We're here" Katsuki broke Akine out of his thoughts. Akine glanced up, the candles were still lit, the small ember going weaker. Indicating his time was almost up.

Akine turned to his friends, and hugged them as tight as he could. Which wasn't much for an 8 year old, but it satisfied him.

"Thank you" Akine whispered. Katsuki and Izuku returned the hug with no hesitation.

"Is everything okay, Akine?" Izuku asked after the hug broke.

"I've found peace, and now....I have to go"

"Wait, what do you mean?" Katsuki asked, eyes widening slightly.

"I'm at peace, and now I can rest"

"Wait, no we... we just got you back" Izuku said, tears starting to come down.

"I know, and I'm so glad I got to spend time with both of you again, even if it was for just a little"

"This is all our fault. We couldn't save you when we were kids. We should've walked with you. We should've took you to our house. We should've-"

"Don't ever blame yourselves. You two kept your promise, you saved me. Both of you, you made our promise come true. You two became the greatest heroes, you became my heroes"

Katsuki and Izuku both cried, not bothering to hold back. They said hello to their friend again, just to say goodbye not long after.

"Come here" Akine whispered, all embracing again.

Akine asked himself the same question for years while he was trapped in the warehouse. Could a heart still break once it's stopped beating? The answer, was yes. He's proved it now, this was it. This was the time, his heart broke, something he thought wasn't possible anymore.

"You both, made me feel alive again" Akine whispered, which was barely audible from their broken sobs. "Don't cry, please don't. I don't think I can walk away if you're still crying"

Their sobs died down, now becoming small sniffles.

"I love you guys, my two best friends. You better make it, you better become the best heroes in the entire world"

"We will, we definitely will" Izuku whispered back.

"Count on it, no one will stand against us" Katsuki added in a broken voice.

"I'm keeping you to that promise. You can let me rest now" Akine said, breaking from the hug. He walked into the river, this time letting himself stand in it instead of floating over it. Katsuki and Izuku stood there, watching their best friend leave them once again. They weren't ready, they could never be ready.

Katsuki gripped the necklace he still wore, vowing to never take it off.

Akine looked up at the moon, and let the snow fall on him softly.

"I'm ready" he whispered. The candle light flickered off, Akine's body forming with the snow. And just like that, he was gone again. But this time was different, he was at peace. He could rest now, he would never suffer again.

Akine's dream came true without even knowing it. He became the greatest hero in just a matter of days.

He was lost, then he was found. He came back, and saved everyone from the darkness they tried to drown themselves in. No one blamed themselves for his death anymore, no they celebrated his life now every winter, his favorite season.

They always thought they were the ones finding Akine, but in reality.

Akine found them.

End

A/N: Thank you for reading my story :)