Chapter 12: The Plan

Nishinoya's POV:

        My alarm rang ten minutes ago, but still I lay motionless in my bed, staring at the ceiling with my blankets half off my body.
        We had volleyball practice this morning, which meant there was no avoiding Asahi or anyone else; fortunately my bruises had sort of faded by then, and I no longer needed a bandage to protect my scrape, so I didn't have to hide those. Although I always enjoyed morning practices (it was like a wake-up call- it helped me get my day going), I just didn't feel like seeing anyone.
        I looked at the clock. If I don't get up now, I'll be really late. Let's go...
I thought, kicking off the other half of my blankets and throwing my weight to the side, swinging my legs out onto the floor.
        "Come on, man!! You gotta get yourself hyped up!" I looked at myself in the reflection of the full-length mirror that leaned against the wall, stretching my arms up.
        Even if I did feel like shit still, I knew that it would be apparent to my teammates if I suddenly was out of energy. Besides, I thought while beginning to change into my school uniform, I need a bit more energy after two days of not practicing!!!
        I left my room and walked straight to the kitchen to find something to eat for breakfast, quickly peeking out the window to check the current weather. I had also checked last night about the weather, and surprisingly there wasn't a high chance of precipitation. Of course I knew that it could still rain.
       I sat myself down in a chair at the table to start to eat, but I couldn't help but have an odd feeling in my stomach. Of course, I ate anyway, trying to ignore the feeling- it didn't last long, though, until I finally realized what was wrong.
        Usually by this time, Tanaka would have called me by now- it was basically routine at this point, it's been happening so long. I dug in my pocket and whipped out my phone, almost dropping it face down on the table.
        Maybe I should call him? Or, no... maybe he wants to give me space for myself because of.. Asahi. But I don't think he'd do that. Oh, he probably is just waking up or something!
I knew Tanaka was the type to wake up late often, so I decided that I should stop worrying so much and just focus on getting ready for school. Leaving my phone on the table, and after cleaning and putting my dishes away, I quickly ran back to my room to get my textbooks, then put them into my backpack.
        I was walking through the hallway, when suddenly I heard my phone buzz against the table, then the loud ringtone echo throughout the house. I ran into the kitchen, almost spilling the contents of my backpack as I turned the corner.
        I picked up my phone, seeing Tanaka's name on the top of the screen, then pressed the answer button and held my phone up to my ear.
        "NISHINOYA!!! Hey, man how are you feeling?!" He yelled enthusiastically.
It felt refreshing to hear him. "I'm alright. Are you excited for practice? It's been too long."
        "Yeah, obviously! I'm worried I'm gonna be a little bit rusty though. A couple days wouldn't throw me off too much, would it...?" He asked, but I'm sure he subconsciously knew the answer. I mean, nobody except Coach Ukai would ever think that he's rusty from 2 days without practice- that is, unless he actually is rusty.
        "Nah, you'll be fine," I checked the time on my phone and realized it was almost time to leave. "Tanaka, if we don't leave and meet up now then we'll both be late."
        I could hear noise at the other end of the call- it sounded like he was far from the phone struggling. "Ok! I just gotta.. get. My. Homework. In. My. Backpack!" I could hear him trying to shove papers inside. I chuckled.
        "Alright, I'll see you in a few minutes then!" Tanaka yelled. I hung up.
       I hope Asahi has to walk with Suga and Daichi today. It'll be awkward. Although it wouldn't be horrible to see him... wait no! I don't want to see him. He rejected me! He doesn't like me like that! I hated when my thoughts became bipolar like that- where suddenly I would think that I wanted something even though I know I didn't. Or did I...?
       I walked out the front door with my key in hand, then shut and locked the door. Turning around, I almost expected Asahi to be standing there, but of course I was only greeted with the walkway to the sidewalk through my yard. It was almost disappointing- almost. If not for the current circumstances, it would have been disappointing.
        Another thought came to mind. Hopefully Takahashi got over himself and isn't stalking me anymore. Even if he was, Tanaka wouldn't let him do anything, since Takahashi has nothing against him. Of course, with the way he is, Takahashi would probably find something to hold against him. It'd be very difficult though.
        I walked down the sidewalk to to the place where Tanaka and I usually met up. The more I thought about it, the more unlikely it seemed that Takahashi would show up. He's not petty enough to follow somebody around for two days, I'm sure. He'll just try to inconvenience me during class, probably. That I can handle. I mean, I have been for months, so I've kind of built up a tolerance to his bullshit.