Epilogue

Asahi's POV: 2 weeks later

        "Hey, be back by 9, ok?" Dad hollered front the kitchen. I was going on an official date with Nishinoya.
       "Alright!" I called back, shutting the door behind me as I stepped out onto the steps. We were meeting up at that sushi place- the same one from before from when Nishinoya had gotten beat up. It was good sushi, so we decided to go back there.
        Dad had come home from work early to watch the house because of this occasion. He had been working more inconsistent hours since mom had left for good (they were filing for divorce), which was more or less inconvenient depending on the situation. It was difficult, and I knew it would probably be difficult for a while more, but we could get through it.
       For the date, I had decided to dress nice, but not too nice. It wasn't as if we were going to a fancy expensive restaurant, so I figured it could be somewhat casual. A pair of black pants and a vest over a dress shirt seemed ok to me (I had also gotten my dad's help, which I wasn't sure was a good thing or a bad thing yet). I had a singular white rose in my hand to give to him. I would have given him a grand bouquet of red roses, but since the idea of to guys going on a date wasn't too popular outside of the house, I decided to go for one white rose. I held it tight in my hand as I began to walk.
        In about ten minutes I could see the brownish sign above the restaurant, with an anxious- looking Nishinoya below it, rocking on his feet. The sign shaded him from the beating sun overhead. I looked him up and down; he was wearing black shorts and a white T-shirt- pretty casual compared to my casual. He had his hands clasped together in front of him as he rocked.
       He looked up, waving his arms at me as a smile spread across his lips. I waved back, walking a little faster to meet up with him sooner.
        "Hey!" Nishinoya ran up to me and sprung into my arms for a hug. I caught him, stumbling backwards before regaining balance so I wouldn't fall.
        "Hey, Nishinoya," my voice was muffled since my face was buried into  the crook of his neck. I carefully released him, and he craned his neck to grin up at me. I handed him the rose that thankfully didn't get crushed amidst all the movement.
       His eyes sparkled with delight as he brushed his fingers over the delicate white petals.
        "Wow... thanks, Asahi! I... don't have anything to give you though," he frowned ever so slightly. I waved my hands out in front of me.
      "Oh, no, you don't have to get me anything! Just being beside you is a gift."
       "That was cheesy as hell."
       "For the record, it sounded better in my head."
       We walked into the barren restaurant (it was small, so I assumed it didn't get much attention as it deserves), then up to the counter to order.
        But when it came to pay, both Nishinoya and I said in unison, "I'll pay."
        "What? Nishinoya, I've got it," I turned to him. He was already pulling  money from his wallet before I could.
        "No, you paid last time!" He was referring to that time he was beat up. "And I owe you one!" He placed the money in the cashier's palm. I smiled.
        "Let's go find a place to sit down," he grabbed my hand and pulled me to a window seat- I think it was the one we sat in last time. He sat across from me, reaching his short arms across the table and wrapping his fingers around the edge. I couldn't help but continue smiling at his silliness.
       Things have gotten better between him and I, however we weren't going to tell the rest of the team, we decided. It was for the good of volleyball, and for the sake of things not being awkward for all of us. It wasn't that we'd just completely hide it, we just wouldn't directly tell anyone. Especially Coach Ukai- we still had no idea how he'd react, so it'd be safer.
        Nishinoya sat up, then looked around the restaurant. There was nobody there, so I wasn't sure what he was looking for until he grabbed a hold of my hand with both of his.
I relaxed my hand as he stroked his thumb across my knuckles. I rested my head in my free hand and admired him as he admired me. Or, my hand really.
        His fingers were soft and gentle, calming even. He quickly bent down and gave my hand a small peck with his lips. I wrapped my fingers around his, staring into his magnificently calm eyes.
       The golden glowing beams of sunlight seeped threw the window beside us, and it seemed as if it were shining like a spotlight on Nishinoya. The warm light illuminated him, and he sparkled. Of course he did, he always did.

       The sun was setting, however it was only 7:00. The day was ending, but we would hang on longer, stay here until dark. Or at least until 9:00. It seemed so sentimental, being there just sitting there with Nishinoya like we did before, only now there was a new spark of mutual affection towards each other.

       "Are you happy?"
       I blinked, snapping out of thought. "What?"
       "I mean, with us. Are you happy? Is this... everything you hoped for?" He looked into my eyes.
        It took me a moment, not becuase I didn't know the answer, but because  the question made me think. Is this everything I wanted and hoped for? Being free from my mom, being able to express my love for who I want?
       I gave his hand a squeeze, then kissed his hand as he did mine.

       "I'm happy- more than ever."
       He looked out the window and smiled softly.
       "Me too."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
The Official End

I thank you all for the amazing comments on all the chapters of this story, and for being so patient. I'm thinking of doing Haikyuu oneshots (character x reader stuff), so let me know how you feel about that as well. I love you guys :D
-Pidgeon