Chapter 7: New

Asahi's POV

"Mom?"
       She stood behind the couch, leaning so that her weight was on one leg while she crossed her arms, looking skeptically at the two of us.
        I knew exactly what she was thinking; the only thing she ever worries about when it comes to her son. To be honest, she had never met Nishinoya personally, and I didn't expect her to realize that we've been friends for two years already. Her mind immediately wandered tot he possibility that I could be dating him.
        "Sweetie I heard you were sick so I tried to get off work early, but the earliest I could get off was three minutes early," hiding her suspicions well, she changed the subject. "So, who's your friend?"
       She put emphasis on the word 'friend', knowing that I would know what she was really asking.
        "Oh. This is Nishinoya Yuu, and he's the Libero on my volleyball team. Sugawara and Daichi sent him over due to the fact they couldn't come over. They didn't want... me to be alone while sick. Nishinoya, meet my mom," I spoke quietly and quickly, nervously trying to prove to her that Nishinoya and I had no other intentions than to hang out (and be taken care of).
She eyed him skeptically, raising an eyebrow, and when she decided he was no longer under suspicion, continued on with her normal daily routine.
"Oh, dear. I hope you're feeling alright now!" She stepped closer, rubbing a tender hand across my forehead.

[interrupting author's note: I had completely forgotten about Asahi's hurt hand up until now so please bare with me!]

        I waved my right hand dismissively, indicating that I was alright despite still feeling like crap. I didn't want Mom to worry too much since she was always overreacting. Of course, raising and clearly displaying my hurt hand was not the way to go if I wanted her not to worry.
        She reached out a hand and swiftly snatched my wrist, pulling my bandaged hand closer to her to get a better look.
       "Asahi! What on Earth happened to your hand?!" She raised her voice a bit, making my sensitive head throb with pain.
       "I just slipped. My hand scraped the concrete when I tried to brace my fall," -my sentences were a bit longer, but I still needed to intake a large breath of air before continuing on-"it doesn't hurt much anymore. It's all cleaned up."
       She gave me a motherly smile, then went on as if she had never seen my hand.
       Overreacting, but also has a short attention span.
       "Ugh, you'll never believe what happened today, Asahi!" She began taking off her coat and putting her purse away, changing the subject of the conversation. "So, here I was sitting with a client, right? This woman and I were talking, and she mentioned she had a girlfriend! Can you believe the AUDACITY to talk about something so sinful? So disgusting? I brushed it off and all that jazz, asking her to repeat herself just in case I didn't hear right, but I did! I couldn't believe it. She then proceeded to tell me about her 'bIseXUaliTY'"— yes, she said it like that-"As if it was some normal thing everyone knows about. God, Asahi, it was so stupid. Can you believe some people? What does 'bisexuality' even mean?! It has to be some of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Honestly. Anyway, when I had told her my opinion, she told me I was discriminating against the people of the Lbq plus or whatever it was," she rolled her eyes as she completely butchered the name.
         "LGBTQ+?" I corrected her, not knowing what else to say.
       "Yeah, yeah, whatever that is. Anyway I-"
       "Uhm, Mom? I... have a really bad headache," I interrupted as nicely as I could, tired of hearing her babble on about how much she hated the LGBTQ community.
       "Oh, sorry sweetie. Why don't you and your friend go head up to your room? I have a couple of calls to make before I start dinner so I can't guarantee the silence," she suggested, pulling out her phone and giving it a little jiggle.
        I nodded as I stood up, completely forgetting my lack of... attire. Thankfully my mom was looking away, so I wouldn't have to tell her the whole story of why I was in my underwear. I wrapped myself in a blanket cocoon again and gestured to Nishinoya to follow me up the stairs.
———————————————————
Nishinoya's POV: