Chapter 10: Confession

Nishinoya's POV:

Nishinoya's POV:

        The next day, I was eating my usual breakfast when I suddenly got a text from Asahi.
"I'm walking to school with you today. I don't want Takahashi to surprise attack you or anything. Be ready by 7:40."
       I smiled, then frowned. I didn't want to be around him, but I did at the same time. After all, he was the one who indirectly rejected me. Of course, I was still really emotionally hurt by that.  But something about me knew that he wouldn't take no for an answer.
"Ok, cya soon!"
       Practice was cancelled again today because a few things in the gym had to be fixed. I was real upset about that, because volleyball was one of the only good things in my life; but I also wasn't upset because I didn't really feel like showing everyone and explaining the bruises on my face. I still had a bandage on my cheek from the cement, and my nose and chin were bruised as well. My mom had been extremely worried the night before, asking what on Earth happened, and I just told her that I ran into a pole and tripped. Don't get mad at me for lying! Besides, it was barely a lie. Takahashi was like a pole. Tall(ish), and no brain! She would've called the school or Takahashi's parents and probably would've gone ballistic on them. Anyhow, she believed my story, which I don't know if it is a relief or an insult.
I finished up my breakfast and went to go get my school bag from my bedroom to put my lunch in. The night before I had put it in the dryer with my clothes and quickly taken it out so that it would be good for the next day. I was glad I did that, considering I still had to bring all my things to school.
My mom had left already, but had also made me a lunch. Hopefully, I thought, Takahashi won't be able to throw it away again.
As I carefully placed my bento box inside my backpack, there was a knock at the door. I quickly grabbed my textbooks and notebooks and shoved them into my backpack, then ran to the door to open it, almost forgetting to zip up my backpack.
I grabbed the knob and threw the door open, almost slamming myself in the face and giving myself another bruise to add to my collection.
Asahi's large figure stood in the doorway, looking like Jesus as the morning sunrise glowed ethereally behind him. I almost caught myself staring for a moment before greeting him.
"Good morning, Asahi. Come on in, I still need to get my jacket," he walked inside and closed he door behind him while I snatched my jacket from the hook.
"Good morning Nishinoya. How are you feeling?" He asked as I slipped on my coat.
"Good! Well, not good, but you know, not horrible! That's good enough for me!" I chuckled at myself. Asahi surprisingly chuckled too.
I swung my backpack over my shoulder and then slid my arm through the other loop, standing up straight to look up at Asahi.
When we made eye contact, he looked... really concerned. The next thing I knew, his hand reached up to the left side of my cheek and pulled it to the left.
I instantaneously got flustered, not knowing how to react to this sudden touch. His hand was soft against my cheek, and he barely put any pressure on my face. He reached up his other hand and lightly dragged it down my cheek and over my bandage, before hastily pulling his arm back towards him. I was almost sad for the affection to be over.
"A-ah... Nishinoya you changed that bandage, right? You're the one who said it could be really bad for the injury if you let the same bandage sit for a day..." he worried. I looked away so he wouldn't see my tomato of a face. I did say that... didn't I. Luckily I didn't forget to change them.
"I changed them this morning. Don't worry!" I pointed to my cheek. He grinned as we started walking out the door.
       The warm and ethereal glow of the sunrise shone beautifully everywhere- It made everything look sort of nostalgic, actually.
       As we walked along the sidewalk beside each other, I couldn't help but stare at the flowers that were growing lushly in the grass of people's yards. The combination of colours of red, blue, purple, and yellow mixed in with the luminous sunlight was such a magnificent sight, especially this early in the morning.
Personally, I thought that the roses were the prettiest flowers among the bunch. Their petals were arranged in such a way that I just could not peel my eyes off of them.
       "You... like the flowers?" Asahi suddenly spoke, noticing my admiration.
My cheeks went red. It's not like I thought it was wrong for a guy to enjoy flowers, it's just that I was embarrassed that Asahi noticed.
"Aha... uh... yeah. They're really pretty, I think," I replied, averting eye contact with him to hide my redness. I heard a small chuckle from Asahi, but it wasn't in a mocking way at all. It was a soft chuckle- gentle, like Asahi.
"Hey!" An intimidating yet disgusting voice suddenly yelled, making me turn my attention back up in front of me.
A snake stood in front of me with his accomplice— a snake who is more commonly known as Takahashi, and his accomplice who is his friend. That was not the face I wanted to see that early in the morning. I wasn't scared of him, but I was anxious about him being around me.... that makes me scared, doesn't it?
"Nice scrape! I didn't know you were such a fragile boy, Nishinoya," Takahashi sneered.
"I'm not-"
"Getting a little bold, aren't we?! You don't care what you say now that your boyfriend is here to protect you!" He smirked slyly, crossing his arms. His friend cackled at the comment.
"I'm not his boyfriend!" Asahi replied in my defence... although it was like a knife to the heart.
"Yeah. You know, Takahashi, you seem to be obsessed with me, since you're always trying to be around me and talk to me!" I insulted him. He frowned, but it didn't remain that way for long. His stupid smile crept up back into his face once more.
"You know, I ought to beat you up again, Nishinoya Yuu. It's not like it's that difficult!" He pointed his ugly finger at me, his friend once again chiming in with his laugh.
"If you even try to do that again, I won't hesitate to do everything you do to him back to you!" Asahi ever so slightly raised his voice and stood up straighter. Is he trying to look intimidating?
Takahashi wasn't fazed by the threat, his smile remained the same. "You know, Azumane, I would say I'd beat you up too, but why would I do that when your Uncle will do it for me!"
Asahi hesitated, but retaliate and cowered away while clenching his fists.
I looked at Asahi, who was looking away, then looked back at Takahashi, screaming, "What the hell is wrong with you?! How could you be that- that idiotic to even resort to using someone's trauma against them!" I began marching forward, my face red now from anger and my fists ready to fight.
But as I pulled my arm back to strike, I felt two arms grab my underarms and begin to pull me away. It was Asahi.
Before I knew it, Asahi was basically dragging me away with him. He walked so quickly I kept stumbling and tripping whilst trying to keep up. He had crossed the street and lifted me up on the curb while I ran with him.
"A-Asahi stop!" I stuttered. I had tripped over a rock, and would have fallen if not for Asahi catching me.
After two blocks of this, he slowed down just enough for me to pull my arm away. Asahi was about to keep walking, but I hastily stepped in front of him and pressed my hands against him to bring him to a halt.
"Asahi, wait!!" I looked up at his face. I froze.
I watched as cold tears slowly streamed down his gentle face. It looked as if it had been happening for a while... for the whole time he was pulling me, probably.
He carefully reached up his hands and rested then on my arms, beginning to cry harder.
At first I had no idea what to do. He had every right to be like this and cry. All I could do was watch him. He hiccuped and sniffled and tightened his grip on my arms. Not tight enough to hurt, though.
       I moved my arms slowly so that I wouldn't startle him, then carefully wrapped them around him and pulled him in for a hug. He gladly complied, enclosing my shoulders with his arms.
        His face was tucked in the space between my neck and shoulder, his warm breath causing a shiver down my spine. I felt his back rise and fall as he tried to stop crying. I held him tight. I wasn't sure if Asahi was a hugger, but I was glad that this was working for him.
       "N-Nishinoya," he whispered softly, followed by another hiccup. He quickly pulled away, as if he didn't want anybody to even have a chance to see us. I felt a ping in my heart.
       He began to wipe his face with his sleeve, still sniffling.
       I ignored my disappointment and began searching through my backpack for the small package of tissues I kept in there (it was mostly for lunchtime when I got messy, but it isn't hurt to use them for their actual purpose) and pulled one out for him.
       "Here, Asahi," I tapped his arm and handed him the tissue. He took it, turned away from me and blew his nose.
        "Thank you," he managed to get out whilst shoving the crumpled tissue into his coat pocket. He looked at me again. "Yes... thank you, Nishinoya."
       He forced the smallest smile I've ever seen on him. He tried to be genuine to show his gratitude.
       "Are... you ready to keep walking? I'd hate to be late for class. My teachers already hate me as it is," I laughed at myself to try and cheer him up.
       He nodded, and we began walking side by side once again.
————————————————————
Asahi's POV: