Chapter 8: Rain

Asahi's POV:

       I tossed the ball in the air, then stepped forward and jumped to hit the ball. Using all of my effort, I smacked it as hard as I could, making it fly over the net and onto the other side towards Nishinoya, who flawlessly received the ball.
       "Nice, Asahi!" Nishinoya threw his fist in the air. I felt the corners of my mouth lifting, as if they had a mind of their own. My stomach fluttered. I felt the rosiness in my cheeks appear as they warmed up. What? Was my only thought as I felt a completely new feeling arise in me. His smile... Why does his smile make me feel this way? It suddenly felt hot in the gym as I unknowingly stared at Nishinoya.
        "Alright, everyone! Five minute break!" I snapped back into reality as Coach Ukai announced our break.
That was... odd... I thought as I made my way to the sidelines beside Daichi and Sugawara.
       "Asahi," Daichi and Sugawara simultaneously put a hand on my shoulder.
       "Haha, Asahi you sneaky guy," Suga chuckled, patting my shoulder.
        I looked at him with a confused look.
       "Yeah! We saw that!" Daichi added, cracking a sly smile.
        "What? What are you talking about?" I tilted my head. They couldn't have possibly seen me staring at Nishinoya... right?
        "You were staring at Nishinoya! It was really obvious," Daichi lowered his voice.
Uh-oh. Was it really that obvious?
        "I really think it's awesome how much you admire him, Asahi. You two really are inseparable," Suga added.
        Phew. I thought they were going to say something like... I don't know. I don't know why I was so worried about them knowing. I was just admiring him, so it wasn't that big of a deal.
         I chuckled. The only answer I could give out.
         "Hmm. Asahi?" Daichi addressed. I thought we was going to keep joking, but his tone sounded serious.
        "How do you feel about Nishinoya? Like, really honestly. You can be open with us, you know?"
        I froze. Out of all questions, it had to be that one. It made me think.
How do I feel about Nishinoya? Sure, he's a great friend, and a very supportive person.... I thought of his smile.  His smile gave me a weird feeling back there, however it couldn't be more than just happiness, right? Right. But... whenever I was with him, I had the same feeling. It was different from joy.
        A horrifying thought popped into my head. Is it... a crush? I internally punched myself in the face. No way. It can't be. It really can't.
I'd be in so much trouble. Mom would freak. Dad would freak. No... I tried my best to push the thought away, but it lingered.
"You can be open with us, you know?"
        Of course I could be honest. Of course I can. But I don't like Nishinoya. He's a really good friend. I knew that. Everyone knew that.
        "He's a good friend. We've been through quite a bit together, whether it's in the volleyball club or something else. He's pretty much always been there for me, and I appreciate that," as the words fell from my mouth, they felt right. Yes. We were good friends.
        The two stared at me as if they were waiting for something more. As if they knew I had a new feeling for him...
No. I won't budge. That feeling is just a desire to stay friends, I'm 100% sure.
         "...Alright then," Daichi replied with a hint of dissatisfaction in him.
"Aright everyone, back to practice!" Coach Ukai yelled.
        We started walking back to do what we were doing before. Of course. We were just good friends. Really good friends.
————————————————————
Later...

         I chugged the water from my water bottle, barely leaving enough time to take a breath.
        "Jeez. Coach Ukai really didn't show any mercy today, huh?" Suga breathed heavily. Daichi and I heaved beside him.
"Yeah," I could barely spit the words out as I gulped down my water as fast as I could.
I looked around the room as I drank. Everyone was sweaty and tired, yet the atmosphere was still excited. I stopped looking around when I spotted Nishinoya.
He, of course, was talking to Tanaka, his bright smile seemingly lighting up the room as he laughed.
I smiled, but... there was this odd feeling in my stomach, different from before. As I watched Nishinoya joyfully shout and laugh with Tanaka, something inside me snapped.
I thought he had his best times with me... why does he look so happy with Tanaka?
Suddenly I felt my feet move. I was heading towards Nishinoya.
————————————————————
Nishinoya's POV: