Chapter Fifty-four

I was unable to catch up with him when Ms

I was unable to catch up with him when Ms. Romeo requested that she may speak with Aaren briefly before leaving the room after the class had ended. As much as I wanted to wait for him and take my time packing my things, I felt that it was inappropriate for me to want to listen in on their conversation.

I soon left the room and moved on to the following class out of respect, and when lunchtime arrived, I sat by our usual table in the cafeteria. I continued waiting for him to come by, staring back and forth at the cafeteria entrance, but he never came.

I decided to wait for him outside the school building after classes and watched the students rush to their cars as I leaned my back against the wall next to the entrance with my arms crossed over my chest.

I had to wait for a while before I see Aaren leave the school. He ran to his car as soon as our eyes connected for the first time today. Now that it was clear he was avoiding me, I wondered why he would do that out of the blue.

I quickly put my hand on the door of his car as I went up to it to stop him from entering and driving off today, completely disregarding me. He continued to avert his eyes from mine as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What's up? Do we have a problem?" I asked, feeling an intense rise of emotions starting to stir up inside me.

He shakes his head, silent, still not meeting me in the eyes.

"Then why are you suddenly avoiding me?" I asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

I was becoming frustrated because I felt like I was going to lose my mind trying to think of all the reasons why he would be acting in this way, but he remained silent.

I held his arm, tugging it, "Aaren, just tell me! What did I do?!"

He let go of my hand from his arm and let out a heavy sigh. Finally, he fixes his stare on me, his expressionless face and black eyes dripping with intensity.

"You're not even really listening to me, aren't you?" My voice starts to break as I continue to ask a series of questions, "I even mustered up the courage to face my fear just to read what I have dedicated to you."

I murmured to myself as I glared at my feet, trying to hold back the tears that were gathering in my eyes and threatening to fall on my cheeks.

"Now you know how I feel," I hear him say, even though it was so soft and quiet as I tilted my head up to look at him.

"Why are you suddenly acting this way?" I asked him, "Is this because of the note and why I still haven't read it?!"

I hear him snicker bitterly as he shakes his head, "You're really dense, aren't you?" he says, sounding more serious than ever which brought me to stare at him dead in the eyes as I questioned what he said.

"You're so dense that you can't even read the room."

"What's that even supposed to mean?" I stood up straight and suddenly showed the irritation that has grown over me as he rolled over his eyes at my response.