Chapter Fifty-six

"Good morning!" I greeted her, beaming a smile at her as soon as she opened the car door

Lauren looks at me, seeming to be forcing a smile on her face, "Morning," she greets back.

She spoke with a trace of tiredness, but I didn't bother to ask away quickly as I just watch her climb inside the car, fasten her seatbelt, and then give me the thumbs up, letting me know she was okay as I sped out of their driveway.

While I was busy spending time and going out with my family, Lauren and I texted each other throughout the rest of the winter break. My dad, on the other hand, was making the most of his time off because we would all soon be preoccupied with our personal affairs, especially him because he would be returning to his office and finding himself surrounded by mountains of more paperwork related to the case he was handling since Dr. Fhassan had already permitted him to do so.

"So, how are you?" I asked as if we weren't on FaceTime last night. I peek over at her and find that she is looking at the road in front of us with no expression at all. I then turn my attention back to the road in front of me.

It was almost February, and since there would be a four-day Mid-Winter break, we had both decided about the postponed road trip to be scheduled for the second week of the next month, during the break.

"I'm alright, I guess."

She answered briefly, not knowing whether she was in the mood to talk about anything or not. Still, I went to dig for a conversation out of here.

"Have you found any more clues?" I asked another question which seemed to get her interest in talking.

She hummed yes to my question. I could sense Lauren from the corner of my eye adjusting herself on her seat as she shifts her body slightly towards my direction to face me, "I have listed down five possible locations here in California that has my mom's paintings."

I looked at her and nodded my head as she continued to describe everything in detail. I listened in quiet and grinned at the thought of her talking.

The first couple weeks of January were fairly conflicting. When Lauren and I went back to school together after the Winter break, holding hands, I was more worried about her than I was about myself. The way the students were staring at us told me right quickly that they were chatting and whispering in the halls. Nonetheless, I held my head up high, knowing that I had nothing to be embarrassed about.

I stole another glance at her, "You think we can settle with those five places?" I asked after she mentioned the cities, "What if there are more paintings from other places in California?"

"Don't worry, I already made my research," she says, sounding confident as she fixed her gaze on her side of the window, watching the scenery as we continue to pass them by.

I don't know why but she seemed bothered today. I reasoned that she could be bothered by the gossip that was circulating the school once again, this time it was about us and most particularly about her as people brought up old wounds from her past.