Chapter Thirty-eight

My head was slightly elevated as I strained my neck to look at the building in front of me

My head was slightly elevated as I strained my neck to look at the building in front of me. I pulled out the piece of paper on which I had written the address that I had found online after spending hours looking and becoming lost in Google's rabbit hole for days.

I wasn't entirely sure if the address I had written down on the piece of paper was the right one when I did so. Now, I'm feeling increasingly uncertain as I stand here by myself. Maybe I took the wrong bus to get here and should've booked a ride on Uber.

Despite how expensive the trip would be to get here; I think that booking an Uber was the wiser choice. I knew the trip would be easy for me and that I wouldn't get lost if only I had booked an Uber earlier.

But I don't have that much money. I felt myself sighing from the exhausting bus ride. I had assumed it would be easier for me to walk around and get that note on my own, but having Aaren present made things much easier, more convenient, and not boring than being by myself in an unfamiliar city.

But I didn't want to be a burden to Aaren, knowing that he had more important things to attend to. He was never meant to be my companion in the first place, anyway.

And I did say that I will retrieve those notes all by myself from now on, and that's what I'll be doing. Hopefully, I will be able to.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

I took a step forward, still staring at the building in front of me. I can see someone standing, watching me from the corner of my eye.

"Hey—"

I can't do this! I immediately walked in the opposite direction, speed-walking my way back to the bus station.

It quickly started to seem like a natural course to run. As I drag my feet and force myself to run harder and faster, I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I'm confident that at this great speed, I could see the bus terminal just a few feet away.

"Hey! Wait!"

I focused on the track in front of me as I kept my head straight. In movies, I've always found it annoying when actors were running and their heads would swivel to look at the killer that was chasing them, causing them to slow down or trip.

I quickened my pace and began to run more quickly, feeling as though my feet were ready to explode as the wind blew my hair away from my face.

"It's me!"

As I kept running, I began to yell and hum la-la-la louder and louder to drown out the sound of his voice. My mind raced with ideas of being killed or abducted by this person following me, and I almost lost my footing.

"It's me! Bill!"

Bill? I immediately slowed down as my head gradually turns to look at him. My eyes widened in disbelief at the sight of him, and my eyebrows pinched against one another.