Chapter Fifty-seven

As soon as I entered my room, I locked the door behind me before tossing the brown file on the bed

As soon as I entered my room, I locked the door behind me before tossing the brown file on the bed. I became anxious as I paced back and forth in my room while scratching the back of my head out of frustration. Shit. Shit. Shit.

What if Lauren finds out about this? Naturally, she will know about this soon! How soon, though, is soon? She'll probably hate me or believe I'm gathering information about her without her consent.

As I walked over to my bed, I bit my bottom lip in an effort to calm myself. I sat down and exhaled deeply before pulling the brown file close to me and leafing through the documents to find out more details due to my ticking curiosity.

Given that I am aware of some details about her life that don't appear to be included in one of these documents, I may be able to help her more in this situation—especially my dad about getting this case solved.

The contents of the stories being made about what transpired that night leave me confused as I go through each page, reading every paragraph and spending as much time as I need.

The paragraphs that followed provided evidence of the potential murder weapons that may have been applied. Footwear and fingerprints left behind, as well as graphic images of bloodstains, caused me to instantly close the file as I felt grossed out; sensing the boiling of nausea beginning to rise in my stomach.

As I decided to go back and scan for more information, I flipped through the papers, skipping the photo with pieces of evidence, and ended up landing on a police report that was attached nearly at the end of the file.

The police report was made. I read the detail of the events:

At 2213 hours on 6 September 2018, I, Officer Matt Lynch #426, was dispatched to a loud disturbance at 3080 Lincoln Street, Carlsbad.

I arrived at the house at 2234 hours. A neighbor was standing on the front lawn. The neighbor (Claire Medina, WF, DOB 7/11/81) said she called the police when she heard screams coming from the house.

I knocked on the front door and called out "Police officer." I heard a woman's voice yell, "I hate you! This is all your fault! I told you I'm not crazy!" I heard a man's voice yelling back, "Just please, calm down!" No one answered the door. I tried banging louder and jiggled the door knob. The door was locked.

I rang the doorbell and banged louder, calling out, "Police officer! Open the door!" The front door opened. A man (Jack Sanders, WM, DOB 9/9/83) opened the front door. There was a red mark on his left cheek and his eyes were tired. He had visible deep, dark circles under his eyes.

I said, "What's the problem here?" and asked Jack Sanders as he apologize and told me, "There's just a misunderstanding between me and my wife about a personal health matter."

As I flipped through the other documents, I discovered autopsy report files pertaining to the murder as well as graphic images of the body parts where they discovered some wounds. After turning through a few more papers, I was nearly at the last page of the file when I saw a health report regarding Lauren's mom and how frequently she had been hospitalized in the past, both before and after Lauren's sister had passed away.