Chapter Forty-six

I awaken to the rhythmic pulses from my temples, hearing whispers at the back of my mind which is followed by a wave of nausea from my stomach that makes me sit up carelessly as I listen to people sharing a quiet conversation near me

My condition appears to be being explained to Aaren by the school nurse, which nearly made me forget how I ended up here in the school clinic. Aaren's eyes widened as he turned his head to look at me and noticed that I was awake.

"You should lie down," Aaren quickly aids to my side, assisting me to lie back down on the bed instead of sitting up, straight.

As she approached me, the school nurse picked up a clipboard from the table and explained that I had had vasovagal syncope, a condition in which my body overreacted and caused me to experience both physical and mental distress, most likely because of the anxiety attack I was experiencing earlier.

"I already called your guardian and she'll come here to pick you up," She says as she plasters a reassuring smile, "Don't worry about the rest of the day; you'll be excused, and I have this gentleman here to let your teachers know about it."

I nodded my head, "Thank you," I said.

"For now, just keep resting while we wait for your guardian," She continues to speak, "And I'll just be here. Let me know if you start to feel something, okay?"

As the nurse exits the room, leaving just Aaren and me, I nodded at her. The bed squeaks as it echoes within the silent room while I shift uncomfortably on it to find a more comfortable position.

I coughed to mask the awkward creak the bed made as Aaren turned to look at me. It became more awkward as I continued to look at him as he suddenly cracked a faint smile at me.

"Listen," He finally breaks the ice. He grabs a chair and drags it towards my left side of the bed as he sits down, "I'm really sorry about what happened. I didn't intend on hiding the truth from you. I just couldn't find the right timing."

I sighed, "I don't think there's really good or bad timing. You could've just told me," I said as he nodded his head.

"Yeah, I should've," he says, "But, believe me. I didn't and never will I tell anyone, even my aunt, about the things you've told me. I promise you that it only stays between us."

I just stared at him in silence, "My aunt was just concerned for you. And honestly, even if she didn't ask me to get to know you, I'd still want to get to know you, and I'm really happy that I did."

I didn't want him to explain why because I was afraid, I would continue to misinterpret the issue or don't get the point of it at all, which is exactly what happened.

"She was just concerned that you might have social anxiety and knowing that there were still rumors circulating around the school, she thought you might need someone, and that you're just too shy to approach anyone," He continues to explain, which made more sense now.

I nodded my head, "I think I understand now," I said. "You don't have to keep explaining."

He took a deep breath as I watch his body relax as his shoulder slumped down, "I'm really sorry."

I smile faintly at him, "I appreciate it but, I think I need some more time to process everything and I'm sure I'll be able to forgive you. But I don't think now's the time for that."

He nods his head as he looks down at his feet, "I hope you understand," I added as he tilts his head back up to look at me.

"I understand and respect your decision," He says as he smiles at me, "Thank you for listening, at least."

I smile at him, "You're welcome," I said.

No matter how devastated I was by what occurred, I still can't bring myself to hate him, and it felt strange to even consider doing so.

"Also, I'm still here if you need a chauffeur or someone to accompany you to get those notes," Aaren adds.

"I'll think about your offer," I said, "But thank you."

Another brief period of silence followed, which grew stranger with each passing second. I'd become accustomed to us conversing about mostly anything, but today was the first time that nobody was venting about anything to lighten the mood in this tense situation.

Aaren's chair made a squeak as he stood up, brushing his jeans, "Well, I have to get back to class," he says as he scratches the back of his neck, ignoring my gaze this time. "I'll let my aunt know about your situation so she can let the teachers know you won't be in your scheduled classes today."

I nodded my head as he reaches for something inside his back pocket, "I hope you get better quick."

"Thank you," I said as he nods his head, smiling.

Before he could leave, he hands me a folded paper and says, "I meant every word."

He pats my hand while briefly holding my gaze as if he were communicating with me telepathically through his eyes. I take the folded paper from him as I watch him walk away. I'm not sure whether to open the letter he handed me, so I just gaze at it.

***